cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

new to ip telephony

razewski
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer who wants to ip telephony for a small office, less then 25 users. equipment wise, what do I need? they are a new company, no pbx or anything, so i am assuming they will not need a voice line just data correct?

3 Replies 3

thayanc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

For up to 200 employees company the ideal and recommened solution is ICS7750. You can get more

info from Cisco web site.

Thanks

Thaya .N

jtdyer
Level 1
Level 1

they're only one office? Are they planning to grow by leaps & bounds -- or open other offices soon -- or connect to other places? Pricing it out, you might find IP Telephony to be a bit expensive for a company that small...

You WILL need some flavor of voice lines -- to connect to the public phone network -- they may need several voice lines to handle their call volume. I run about 8 analog lines for our 40 person shop & it seems to work out ok (I'm not QUITE at the point where PRI is cost effective).

So for an equipment list:

ICS 7750 w/ FXO vwic or T1 vwic for PSTN access

(to provide "PBX" and "PSTN gateway" support)

Catalyst 3524xl-PWR switches

(to provide ethernet connections for the phones and power to the phones)

Cisco IP Phone 7940 for each user

Some sort of voicemail system. You might try Active

Voice Unity Connection -- if you can still get it -- it doesn't have all the bells & whistles of Unity enterprise, but it's also cheaper. We are using Unity Enterprise -- it integrates via TAPI & works well, if the customer is a MS EXCHANGE type place...

mtashiro
Level 1
Level 1

While the ICS 7750 looks like the ideal box it might not be a good idea use that box. After looking at this box in detail it is not ready yet. You would be better served by using the 7825 and a voice gateway.

You are correct, you will only need to cable for data.