Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

New to voice mail

I am considering the implimentation of a small VoIP infasturcture utilizing a mamimum of 10 handsets (to start off), a small router such as a 1700 or 2600 series equipied with PSTN interfaces, and voice mail capability.

I am new to Cisco VoIP but have experience with other Cisco products and would like to know the least expenisve way to impliment voice mail.

I learned a lot from from the CCO document 'Configuring and Troubleshooting Cisco IOS Telephony Service (ITS)' but still have some questions that need to be answered.

Thanks for the help in advance

Matt

2 REPLIES
Gold

Re: New to voice mail

It depends on your needs. For a small deployment using ITS, it is possible to integrate into a Cisco Unity voicemail system. This gets you unified messaging with Microsoft Exchange, if you run that internally. It does, however, require a seperate MCS server and appropriate Unity licensing, which may be expensive for your tastes.

If your messaging needs are VERY simple, such that one general mailbox for all extensions would do, it is possible to attach a consumer-type answering machine to an FXS port and call-forward-no-answer your ITS phones to it. Almost all answering machines support remote message retrieval, so you can program the Messages button on the phones to call it and leave instructions with the users as to how to receive messages. This "solution" cannot light users' message-waiting lights on their phones.

If your purchase is some months away, you might want to stay tuned. It is rumored that Cisco will be announcing a hardware-based, fairly cost-effective voicemail solution for small office ITS deployments. I do not know the timeline.

Re: New to voice mail

Hi,

Stonevoice has developed a very interesting, powerful and cost effective Voicemail solution for Cisco ITS, fully integrated with it.

Its name is SSAM (SoftSwitch Answering Machine), it works very well, very simple to use and install. Its only requirement is a Windows 2000 (Server or Professional) or Windows XP based PC.

Stonevoice has also developed several other applications for ITS including Billing, Contacts Management, Music on Hold, etc..

www.stonevoice.com

Hoping this might help.

Nicola

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content