Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

New Unity box migration - is possible?

Here's what we're trying to do - the endpoint:<br>Kill the current Unity box (retire box), install new Unity box (new IP Address as well) while maintaining all voicemail, prompts, etc.<br><br>Shoud we:<br>1) Install new box with new IP address, join exsisting Exchange site, move mailboxes over (will everything else replicate?)<br><br>or<br><br>2) Install new box with new IP, Join Exchange site AND use the Import / Export tool. With this, will mailboxes be moved over as well? Or should this still be done via Exchange?<br><br>Any input is appreciated!<br>John.<br><br>

5 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: New Unity box migration - is possible?

So this is a POV installation (i.e. all users are homed on our local Exchange server)?

If so, run an export on the original Unity server and store the resulting MDB file off on CD or tape or whatever.

Install your new server into the same Exchange site as the Unity box.

Shut down Unity and Uninstall it. This will remove all Unity custom properties/objects from the directory, which is what you want.

Use Exchange "move user" functionality to move all mailboxes over to the new server. This may take a while depending on the number of users/messages.

Install Unity 2.4.6 on your new server.

Run the import on the new Unity install.

this will save all your messages and preserve all your Unity settings.

Of course, ALWAYS get a good backup of Exchange before starting down this road!

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Anonymous
N/A

Actually, all users mailboxes are homed to the corporate Exchange server, no mailboxes are homed on the local. Therefore, no mailbox migration will be needed (we just realized).

Therefore; if I understand you correctly, we will (in order)
1) Run Export Utility on original Unity box
2) Install (and join Exchange site) new Unity box
3) Shut down Unity on original box
4) Run Import utility on new Unity box
5) De-Install original Unity box.

This sound about right?

Thanks again
John.

Anonymous
N/A

After you run the export, you should run the uninstall of the original Unity server.

If you go to import on the new box and you haven't properly uninstalled all the custom objects/properties from the old Unity server, the import will assume all the users in your directory are associated with another Unity server and will skip them during the import process... you gotta be sure to clean all that out before doing the import.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

One more confirmation:

Do I have to install the new Unity box (into the Exchange site) BEFORE un-installing the old Unity box? Or does this matter?

Obviously, I'll still run the Import utility on the new Unity box AFTER the old box is de-installed.

Thanks again
John.

Anonymous
N/A

I would not install the new box into the Exchange site until you've uninstalled the old one myself. This will prevent any possible problems with the default entities such as the public distribution lists off the recipients container and the like.

Technically you could install the new box into the site, then uninstall the first one but there's more risk to this path. I'd definitely do it the other way around.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content