Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

New Voice Mail Loop

We are running Unity 2.4.6.102 integrated with CM 3.08.<br><br>We have a subscriber with the following problem:<br><br>MWI indicates a new message. Subscriber logs in and hears "to hear new voice messages press 1" . They press 1, 2 seconds of silence is played then Unity prompts them again with "you have 1 new voice message... press 1" . Unity never gives the option of saving or deleting this message. This very is annoying to the user and a mystery to me.<br><br>If I call and leave a voice mail in this subscribers box, it can be retrieved and deleted ok but the above message cannot be deleted.<br><br>Thanks,<br>Vince<br><br>

7 REPLIES

Re: New Voice Mail Loop

Here is some more information:

For about 18 minutes our Exchange server, to which Unity mail boxes are homed, went off line. During this time, it seems that anyone who was left a voice messge is experiencing the same problem, the MWI is lit but when they try to retrieve the voice message, they hear silence and it goes in an endless prompt loop and they are unable to delete it.

I logged into one of these subscriber's mail boxes and can see the voice message that is in their box. It is a legitimate voice message, I can play it and there is not silence. It seems to me that Unity knows there is a voice message but when it goes to retrieve it, Unity cannot find it which causes the loop.

Thanks,
Vince

Anonymous
N/A

any errors in the application event log of note when you check messages for this guy?

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

No error messages in the logs when the voice mail is accessed and sends the subscriber into a loop.

The only errors were during the 18 minutes the Exchange server was offline.

A side question, Is Unity supposed to answer voice mail when the Exchange server goes offline then deliver it when the Exchange server comes back online.

Anonymous
N/A

Yes. While remote home Exchange servers are off line Unity will take messages from outside callers to subsbscribers on those boxes and they get handed off to the MTA on our local box which takes care of trying to resend them every 10 minutes for 24 hours (default settings, these can be adjusted in Exchange).

Not sure what the looping thing is about but it sure seems like we're not able to log into these folks' message boxes properly. In your description I wasn't clear, are you sure you're getting a message count first? Does it say you have X new voice mail messages and then start to cycle or does it cycle as soon as you sign in?

Has Unity been rebooted since the remote server went off line?

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Yes we are able to sign in and Unity says "You have X New Voice Messages. To listen to new voice messages Press 1..." after pressing 1, Unity went to the next prompt "New Voice Message, Message X" and there would be a couple of seconds of silence and then it would start over. Unity did not cycle until after pressing 1 and after Unity tried to play the voice mail.

We have not rebooted Unity.

Anonymous
N/A

I have a symptom very similar to this one. Unity 2.46 build 102 on a NEC 2000 with analog MCI integration. Mailbox conversation says 2 new messages, pressed one to listen, the system said first message is, moment of silence and then "you still have 2 new messages". This is happening to approximately 20 POV users, meaning although we are in a Unified Messaging environment, these people have a separate NT and exchange account on the Unity server, unrelated to their true Email accounts. There are only 3 truly unified users at the moment, and they are not affected.

When opening one of these problem boxes in Outlook, you can play the 2 messages via VMO. When moving these offending messages into a sub folder, all the other messages are accessible through the phone conversation. Moving them back into the in box causes the problem again.

Two unusual events happened recently. Yesterday power was accidentally turned off to the Unity Server. The server was restarted almost immediately. Today, the customer saw that the date on the Unity Server was July 4, so they changed the date to July 3. The problems were reported after the date change.

Obviously manually manipulating these in-boxes is going to be time consuming so we'd like to know if a problem was created by the date change or if we might still have an on-going problem.

Anonymous
N/A

The problem is those messages are probably tagged in the future (i.e. they came in while the date/time was set forward). The Unity conversation will currently filter those messages out while the date is ahead of the time the box is currently at.

Tomorrow afternoon I'm betting those messages will suddenly become available in the conversation.

there's already an open defect about this (we should just play it unless it's specifically marked with the future delivery flag, which shouldn't be the case here).

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content