Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie: Developing using JTAPI on 7970

cris_miron
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I wonder if it is possible to write, using JTAPI, a fullscreen application for my 7970. Can I use CallManager simulator to do this or I need a real CallManager. What do I have to do to run a hello world JTAPI application on my 7970?

Thanks,

Chris Miron

7 Replies 7

stephan.steiner
Spotlight
Spotlight

I'm not sure if I read you correctly, but JTAPI is a server side thing.. you can push an XML page to a phone, but it's not like the application is running on the phone. While the 7970 and IP Communicator are Java based, that functionality is not exposed to the developer and probably never will be.

The call manager simulator only allows phones to register and make basic calls. There's no CTI functionality whatsoever so you will need a full blown Call Manager to develop JTAPI applications.

I wonder if there are any specs about the protocol used to push events via CallManaged from a jtapi application to a xml application running on the phone.

If not, did someone try to investigate the protocol to allow a programmer to write jtapi applicatios and communicate with the phone bypassing the CallManager?

I only need to notify the phone to do a refresh (only when it's really needed, no using a header to do it automatically, for nothing). It's funny that only for this I might need a CallManager...

Best regards,

Chris M.

Hi Chris,

I might be talking complete nonsense, but can't you just "push" a CiscoIPPhoneExecute to the handset from your Java application?

Have a look at the push2phone sample JSP application.

I should probably have done a bit of testing before posting this, so sorry I haven't qualified this.

It might help if we understood exactly what you were trying to achieve as personally, I wouldn't normally think of JTAPI and the display on the handset in the same context...

Hope it helps though...

Regards,

Darren.

Hi Darren,

Thanks for your reply. Since I only have the phone, but not a CallManager, I don't know how to set/what are factory defaults username and password for a 7970 ip phone. Any clues?

Thank you,

Chris M.

Just a quick question: is the CallManager simulator not working for what you need? You can set the services URL, authentication URL, etc; all you need to do is supply web pages at those URLs to give the phone a service at the service url (such as a CiscoIPPhoneMenu with links to the services you're testing) and authentication url (which could just return "AUTHORIZED" all the time).

Is that what you're looking for? Again, not quite sure what you mean by factory default username/password...

I have the CallManager, but not the phone :) Well, we have some in the office, but I'm working remotely...

As Aaron says, not sure what you mean by username/password, but essentially, the phone is just a dumb device and will get all of its settings from the CallManager, in this instance your Simulator -- have you got that working? You could also try getting the IP Communicator working with that too.

For the softphone, you can configure the TFTP Server as the IP address specified in the simulator and for the hard phone, you will need to configure DHCP with a scope option 150 to provide the TFTP Server information. When the phone boots up, it will then get its software load from that server...

If I'm on the right lines, let me know and I can provide a bit more detail...

Once you have the phone working, you can then provide it details from the simulator as to where your web server is and so on...

The following link gives a pretty good intro to IP Phone Services development:

http://www.cisco.com/global/at/veranstaltungen_seminare/downloads/files/up2date_abraumann_071003.pdf

And finally, in regard to your original question, I believe Stephan is right in that you probably won't be able to do any JTAPI with the simulator, but is JTAPI what you want to do?

Regards,

Darren.

Last but not least there's always the option of installing the CCM on a regular W2K server.. it even works in a virtual machine for development purposes so you can have everything on the same box (ccm on w2k server vm, ip communicator and your app on your actual box)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: