Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

NM-HD-2VE - Why no Transcoding/Conferencing???

What's the deal? Why can't I do transcoding and conferencing in this thing? Is there a resitriction or limitation on the hardware? Isn't it a "DSP" just like a "PVDM"? Does someone know? The following are the ONLY enterprise routers and modules that support transcoding/conferecing:

1751 and 1760

NM-HDV and variations such as "FARM" part#

6608 T1 Blade (being EOL'd)

AGM Module for 4500

6-Port T1 Blade with CMM

Right? Thanks.

5 REPLIES
Gold

Re: NM-HD-2VE - Why no Transcoding/Conferencing???

Some corrections to your list: The WS-X6608-T1 and -E1 blades, while old and probably not long for this world, have not yet had an EOL date set so far as I know. I'm not sure you can convert T1 ports on the CMM to transcoding resources; there is a separate DSP-only daughtercard for the WS-SVC-CMM blade specifically for this purpose.

You should be able to use the NM-HD modules for transcoding and conferencing. See:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00801ec5bb.html#1036250

I'm not sure what minimum IOS and CallManager versions are, but I'm sure you'll need CallManager 3.3(3) with a recent service release.

NM-HD-2VE only supports voice termination, but not conferencing/transcoding. It does use a different kind of DSP (TI 5510), as opposed to the TI 549 in PVDM-x. Don't think it's a DSP limitation though, seems more like hardware/software issue. It's detailed in Cisco's SRND.

The parts that you listed are the only ones I know that will support conferencing/transcoding, although I heard rumors that AGM will soon be EOL-ed.

Ronnie, you wouldn't happen to be based out of SA, are you?

Thanks. I was doing alot of work in SA, TX. I am out of Houston with Datavox now. www.datavox.net.

What about the PA-VXA-1TE1-24+ port adaptor? Does it support transcoding?

I wish the data sheets were clear on what functions voice cards didn't support.

Apparently yes. According to:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/products_tech_note09186a008019f2fa.shtml

You use 6 DSPs to support a T1, and have one DSP (4 channels left over).

Views
Helpful
Replies