Views
Helpful
Replies

No audio in SoftPhone

dave.king
Level 1
Level 1

Folks,

I can't seem to get audio working in softphone. I've verified my configuration and ensured that addresses, etc. are correct. I notice one problem, and wonder if it's significant ...

I can ping my router, 10.100.1.1, my CCM 10.100.1.2, but not any phones 10.100.100.x. I can ping the phones from the CCM or the router, but not from a workstation on a different VLAN, or from a VPN client. Is there a firewall built into CCM preventing the pings, and could this be what causing my audio problems?

7 Replies 7

dave.king
Level 1
Level 1

UPDATE: I can send audio from softphone, but I can't get incoming audio. If I call someone through softphone, they can hear me but I can't hear them.

You may want to look at the audio set up of the softphone. On the softphone, go to Settings>Audio>Network Audio Settings. Then do specify address and put the IP address of the PC/laptop you are using. I had the same audio issue when using the VPN and softphone.

Trae

Hi Trae. I've done that actually - I'm running over a VPN connection, and using the GETIP.ASP file to ensure that I'm getting the correct address.

Just got an email back from TAC (Paul - the guy who wrote the

troubleshooting book) and installing the getip.asp on CallManager is not

supported. This is because it is a web page and you would have to

modify IIS to get it to publish the page - which can affect lots of

other things.

He said you have two options:

There recommended option is to install the SoftPhone Web installer on a

web server where you can tell you users to install from. This will

automatically publish the getip.asp. Instructions are in a doc included

with the softphone download.

You can also see if you have a web server where you can just publish the

getip.asp. Obviously this will require the server administrator to

configure the web server to do this.

The getip seems to be functioning ok. On ALL my softphone installs (local LAN and VPN) I can send audio via mic, but I can't hear anything coming in.

msolak
Level 4
Level 4

That's got it!!! My DCHP scope had the router set to my CCM. When I changed it to my actual router, worked fine. Thanks!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: