cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

no MWI

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

We are using Unity 2.4.5 and CCM 3.05a. Within Call Manager, we use partitions and calling search space. We can't get the MWI lite to work, even though dialing the MWI # on the IP phone lites it up and also turns it off. We can get VM messages to the Unity server. Any thoughts?<br><br>Thanks,<br>Brad<br><br>

8 Replies 8

Not applicable

A couple more details... We are using the latest TSP and have the correct info entered for the TSP connection. The Service Parameters are set up in CCM under Call Manager and the required fields---MWIOnDN and MWIOffDN---are using the same numbers as the Unity TSP set up for MWIOn and MWIOff.

Thanks,
Brad

Not applicable

FYI, the user's Unity mailbox extension must appear on the top line of their CISCO telephone. If it doesn't, the extension will have an envelope next to it, but no bright red light on the telephone.

I think though that your problem is the same that I encountered at a site. They had centrex lines appear on individual telephones, and required that the users dial out only from their own centrex lines. This required separate calling search spaces for each telephone and the MWI didn't happen, even though we saw via the port monitor that UNITY was doing its thing. It gets a little fuzzy for me here because it happened last summer. I think all we played with was the calling search space, putting the voice mail extensions and some telephones in the same calling search spaces got the MWIs to work. NOTE: nothing was changed on the UNITY side. This was not acceptable to the customer because of their outbound call requirement. Since they were getting rid of their centrex trunks in a few months and this was a pilot project the issue was not pursued.

Not applicable

FYI,

For an MWI to work, the call search space that Unity is using needs to include the partition the phone is in.

Aaron Belcher
Software Engineer
Active Voice
abelcher@activevoice.com

Not applicable

We use 5-digit dialing, and we had the MWI using 4 digits. We added that 5th digit and it started working. The calling search space is different, so not sure on that one.

Thanks,
Brad

Not applicable

Where is this set? I've set MWI On and Off in the Service Parameters under the CallManager. The voicemail number is also set there. Is this set under service parameters for the Cisco Messaging Interface? What all needs to be configured (if anything) under the Cisco Messaging Interface service parameters.

How about the uOne ports that are configured -- what are the requirements for those devices' Calling Search Spaces. Do partitions and Calling Search Spaces need to be configured for the directory number for these ports?

Not applicable

You have configured all the Service Parameters you need. The CallManager needs to be restarted before these take affect. The Cisco Messaging inteface is does not need to be configured.

With Call Search space you two options.

1. Set all the Call Search spaces and partitions to none. In this setup everyone can call each other.

2. Put the phones and the uOne ports in the partitions as you see fit. Setup a Call Search spaces for the phones and uOne ports. Make sure the partition the uOne ports are in, is the Call Search space of the phone. This is necessary so the phone can call into Unity. And make sure the partition for the phone is in uOne ports call search space. This is necessary for Unity to be able to set MWI's and do dialouts to the phone.

Aaron

Aaron Belcher
Software Engineer
Active Voice
abelcher@activevoice.com

Not applicable

Though I want to use search spaces and partitions eventually, I'm trying to first get MWI On and Off working without them. I thought I understood how they work and how they related to Unity, but apparently not. Here's what I've got:

Configuration
- uOne ports with access numbers for Unity (1500 and 1501) are configured with no search spaces and no partitions.
- As previously posted, MWI On (1998) and Off (1999) are configured under the CallManager service parameters, as is the dial in number to reach voicemail (1500). Parameters previously specified for Cisco Messaging Interface were removed
- Phone #4 has no Calling Search Space defined. It has line 1004 configured, which is not in a partition, and not in a search space
- Phone #1 is in CorporateDefaultCSS search space. It has line 1001 configured, which is in a partition CorporatePT. This directory number is also configured for CorporateDefaultCSS. CorporatePT is the first partition listed in CorporateDefaultCSS.

Observation
*1001 can call 1004.
*1004 can not call 1001.
*Both 1001 and 1004 can call either 1500 or 1501 to access Unity, leave and retrieve messages.
*1004 can call 1998 and 1999 to manually turn MWI On and Off
*Unity does not turn MWI On and Off for 1004 when messages are left and retrieved.
*1001 gets a fast busy when trying to call 1998 and 1999
*Unity does not turn MWI On and Off for 1001 when messages are left and retrieved.

This all leads to thinking I have to configure search spaces and partitions for the MWI numbers, but I don't know how that is done. I did not create uOne ports for the MWI numbers, they are just in the service parameters (and configured through the AV-Cisco Service Provider utility on the Unity server). Is this my error?

I'm pretty sure I understand all of the observations except why the MWI doesn't get turned on and off by Unity for phone 1001.

Thanks,

John

Not applicable

You should not configure uOne ports or search spaces for the MWI numbers.

*1001 gets a fast busy when trying to call 1998 and 1999

I have a couple theories that might explain this.
1. Does the CorporateDefaultCSS have a route pattern that includes extensions 1998 and 1999?
2. Do you have a failover CallManager? Is the 1001 phone connected to a different CallManager then 1004 phone? Is the MessageWaitingOnDn set on this CallManager? Has this CallManager been restarted so the changes take affect?

FYI,
The MessageWaitingOnDn and MessageWaitingOffDn should be unique extensions that are not used by any device on the CallManager. They should also not show up in any route patterns. If you have a failover CallManager, the values need to be set and identical in both CallManagers. The CallManager services need to be restarted before the changes to these values take affect.

Aaron Belcher
Software Engineer
Active Voice
abelcher@activevoice.com