Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Noise through headset on 7940

Hi,

We've deployed a small contact centre with 7940's. Each phone has a headset (forgotton which make and model). Every 15 or so seconds you can hear some noise through the ear piece. It's like a switching noise from the phone. They refer to it as a mouse :) The Call Centre staff, who wear the headsets all day, are finding it annoying. My advice has been to try some different types of headsets, but I'm concerned that this is an operation of the IP Phone. More specifically, the 7940/7960 type.

Has anyone come across this before?

If so, was a solution found?

Can anyone recommend a really good quality headset?

Cheers,

Jeremy.

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Noise through headset on 7940

First off you can look at this site for the Cisco recommended headsets (Plantronics):

http://www.cisco.getheadsets.com

Are they having issues with wireless or wired headsets?

If wired, are they using an AMP or plugged directly into the headset port?

Based on your description it sounds like if the problem happenes it is consistant throughout the call (every 15 seconds or so). If this is the case ask them to pickup the handset to see what happens to the noise.

The problem could be anywhere from an incompatible (not tested) headset (make sure they use something from the web site above) to some sort of EMI interference to a QoS issue causing voice quality problems.

I don't know of any issue hardware or firmware issues related to headset quality problems. I suppose you could try a different firmware version on a couple of phones that have the most complaints or even swap a couple of phones that don't seem to have an issue.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your response. I guess I wasn't so clear in my initial description. It happens all the time, whether or not you are on a call. It does not happen via the handset, just the headset. It happens on all phones and headsets.There are no voice quality issues. It could be EMI interference.

It happens pretty consistently every 15 or so seconds. So you would think it's either a switching noise, or some noise being injected into the headset. But the noise would really have to come from the phone....wouldn't it???

Cheers,

Jeremy.

Cisco Employee

Interesting.

In addition to knowing whether the headset is wireless or wired (and uses an AMP) - where do the plug the headset into (the headset port or the andset port)?

Kevin

Sorry, I missed that question earlier. It's a wired headset, and it connects into the headset port.

I'll try and update the firmware when I'm there next on Tuesday. However, I believe it's an "electronic" issue with the phones themselves.

It could even be a problem with only a certain batch of phones.

It's a bizare fault, as we've never had this complaint before, so I don't know if it's an issue on other customer sites or not.

If you listen very carefully whilst the phone is idle, you may hear it. And in a quiet room, I can imagine that it must be frustrating for those staff that wear headsets all day.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

Just following up on this post...

The customer tested a Plantronics headset on a number of phones over a period of 3 days. During the test there were zero instances of noise in the earpiece on the plantronics headset, but a number of instances of noise through the GM Netcom headsets. The GM Netcom headsets must be an iferior product.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content