Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

non-Cisco Skinny Server RETRY, NEED ANSWER FROM CISCO

Hi,

I got from Cisco the following statement:

SCCP is not an open protocol for development. Third parties are required to obtain a Technology Licensing Agreement (TLA). Cisco will evaluate a license on a per product per partner basis. Basically you will need to provide a business case that will be evaluated by Cisco.

Please contact your Cisco account team for more information.

But I had more questions:

According to the Software Directive of the European Union it is legal to dissassemble software for the purpose of establishing compatibility. So we have to take this route and disassemble the cisco phone software, so that we can establish compatibility to our server?

As far as I know there are no patent rights associated with the Skinny protocol itself?

In the press (at least in Germany) Skinny is always declared as open protocol. Do you agree that these statements are wrong in the light of your above statement?

Could anybody from Cisco answer to these questions?

Regards

Guntram

2 REPLIES

Re: non-Cisco Skinny Server RETRY, NEED ANSWER FROM CISCO

I doubt anyone from Cisco reading this forum has the authority to answer that question. And I don't think this is the correct forum to get an offical statement from Cisco, which it appears you're looking for.

If you are considering reverse-engineering SCCP, I suggest you discuss it with a lawyer familiar with the Software Directive you mentioned.

And in response to your question, if we read the original statement from Cisco, that "SCCP is not an open protocol for development", I think it's safe to say that the media outlets are wrong in calling it an "open protocol". However, everything must be taken in context; perhaps they mean something else by open.

Re: non-Cisco Skinny Server RETRY, NEED ANSWER FROM CISCO

Hi,

maybe you are right and there won't be any answer by cisoc to this question. But I don't understand why. It would help Voip and cisco if these protocols are really open. This is one major point which makes voip different from old-style telephony.

So if anyone from cisco reading this forum does not have the authority to answer, he could at least forward it to the person with the authority.

Guntram

Views
Helpful
Replies