Views
Helpful
Replies

Nortel 2004 IP phones and switch port config

ali-franks
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

The following config was applied to 3750 switch ports and appeared to have a detrimental effect on the LAN. It seems that the config put all user traffic into native Vlans, which then left the traffic floating around in the core with nowhere to go. Ooops - not clever!! Each floor has it's own Vlan and voice is the same for all floors.

The STP, queueing and mls entries are the defaults created by the "auto qos voip trust" cmd

description *** Phones or PC's ***

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 110

switchport trunk allowed vlan 300,110

switchport mode trunk

switchport voice vlan 300

srr-queue bandwidth share 10 10 60 20

srr-queue bandwidth shape 10 0 0 0

mls qos trust cos

auto qos voip trust

spanning-tree portfast

spanning-tree bpduguard enable

Currently the phones have not been deployed, therefore only host PC's are in use, so when the config was ripped out and replaced with just access port commands all settled down and the LAN runs sweetly.

So the question is, and it's a bit of a grey area for me, what should the port config look like in order to support the Nortel phones when they are rolled out? They don't support CDP as the new Mitel SW version does so Im a bit stuck and would appreciate some input.

Regards

Ali

2 Replies 2

mparekh
Level 3
Level 3

If i understand your issue correctly, then you should remove the, switchport trunk native vlan 110, and replace it with switchport trunk vlan (FloorVlan). Also allow this vlan over the trunk instead of 110.

Because you designated 300 as the voice vlan it will assume that the user traffic should ride on vlan 110 which seems to be the native vlan.

Hi Milan,

Thanks for the reply. So as I understand it, ignoring the QoS related stuff, would you please confirm we'll end up with the following:

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk vlan 110 (floor vlan)

switchport trunk allowed vlan 300,110

switchport mode trunk

switchport voice vlan 300

Thanks

Ali