Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Nortel IP Phone/Vlan/Cisco Cat

Hello:

I have a customer that want to segment voice and data traffic on there Nortel IP Phone system. I can do this with little effort with a Cisco Phone. Anyone made this work with a Nortel VOIP solution. I have been reading that it is really a layer 2 solution. In that case Vlan's are going to be of little help.

Any ideas?

Carl

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: Nortel IP Phone/Vlan/Cisco Cat

I found the brochure for the nortel IP phones on their website and it states that their phones have a built in layer 2 switch "that splits the network catagory 5 cable into seperate feeds providing an additional RJ-45 port to connect your PC."

They call this hardware based priority. It sounds like they are using the unused pairs in the cat5 cable as a seperate physical link. I have not seen what stabndard they are using for that, I would suggest contacting Nortel support to find out or sniff the traffic coming from the phone to see what it's doing. Hope this helps....

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.