cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nortel MCDN Signaling Gateway

responda
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to find out if Cisco currently supports MCDN signaling (Nortel Propietary PRI Signaling). I have read that with Nortel-Cisco configuration you can use DMS100, QSIG, EUROISDN, QSIG signalings but I have not found anything about MCDN (IFC SL1 on Nortel D-Channel configuration). The main reason to keep this signaling is that we have to guarantee, if we migrate to VoIP, that Network ACD messages, Network Authorization Codes, Anti-Tromboning, Trunk Optimization, Network Class of Service, Network Call redirection, Names, etc are currently supported by Cisco. I will really appreciate you could share some experience, knowledge with me.

Ricardo

4 Replies 4

dcharlier
Level 1
Level 1

According to me, this is not yet possible. We have a Meridian Option 11c with an 3640 qsig gateway ,and the "feature" calling name display is not working.

Cisco announced several networking features in a new future CallManager version 3.3.

Greetings

JIM.CHAMBERS
Level 1
Level 1

i am using pri to a nortel if you have any questions call 1-978-858-7680

As Meridian Customer Defined Networking (MCDN) is based upon a Nortel Propriatary message protocol (not an API or Q.931) it is unlikely that any Cisco Gatekeeper will interface with the PBX utilizing this protocol. I have read the comments of the other respondants and agree with the limited inter-system functionality to a point.

Regarding features like Caller Line ID for QSIG call diversion, two-way name display, and QSIG Message Waiting - these features are supported by choosing the National ISDN 2 (NI2) signaling protocol. Unfortunately NI2 is only supported on Nortel PBX equipment of release 25.40 or higher - possibly resulting in a cost to your organization for the upgrade.

I suppose some of your other concerns like anti-tromboning can be addressed by one of to methods.

First, logically locate services - voice mail is the leading culprit in developing the multiple connections that you are seeking to avoid. While aggregating all users on a single voice processing system offers some cost and functional advantages there are these resource issues that may not be overcome.

The second possible solution would be to use H.323 gateways in both the PBX (ITG II Card) and the Call Manager. As this method creates a point to point connection between devices each "transfer" releases the previous connection.

I have connected the AVVID to a Nortel switch a couple of times in my lab - functionality is marginal. If you seek specific information let me know - If I have not tried the scenario - I will put it together.

Dave

You may want to see:

http://www.iflex.com/solutions/ipmigration.asp

We have implemented a subset of MCDN features for those companies that wish to protect the investment in Meridian Mail/Octel/Call Pilot.

This provides calling party name, number, and reason for redirection to the Voicemail connected to the Meridian 1.

ITG fucntionality along with BCM is still not working. Activity is underway with all of the parties, but don't expect miracles.

Cory