cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nortel Meridian 1 PBX

mvonlanthen
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know how to implement a Nortel Meridian 1 PBX into a Cisco VoIP system? We have a Cisco 3640 gateway with e1 controllers.

7 Replies 7

gfregoso
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You have to configure Q.SIG at C3640 E1 for integrated the PBX Meridian. Please contact me for the configuration

mark.roddis
Level 1
Level 1

Depending on the exact PBX you have, you may want to investigate the Notel ITG (internet telephony gateway card).

This will then give you an ethernet port on your PBX which makes life a lot easier.

The Nortel ITG card is quite new and has some limitations so do your homework.

There are 2 Nortel ITG Solution - ITG Line & ITG Trunk.

ITG Line - IP Based Telephony Solution. CISCO IP Telephony is IP-BASED.

ITG Trunk - IP Enabled Telephony Solution

My suggestion , do not use Nortel ITG Soltion with CISCO IP Telephony. ITG Line and CISCO IP Telephony are similar and competitive technology.

ITG Trunk is not really IP Telephony...it is only using IP Transport for voice.

Some suggestions to your answer. USE a DTI/PRI nortel trunk card to integrate into your cisco gateway. Nortel Switch must be enabled QSIG signalling voice voice connectivities. But one highlight...you will not be able to enjoy nortel call features like name display and etc.

Cheers

chan.m
Level 1
Level 1

Please check the IOS version of C3640 if it can support PRI Network side. In PBX side, you could assign it as a PRI trunk connection. While for the VoIP side, assign it as the H.323 voice gateway. There should not be a problem for the two devices integrated together.

Good luck.

ms

imt000040
Level 1
Level 1

Hi , Good day to you .I think you can using many type of gateway devices or FXO device to connection with PBX .

Because we already in use this solution for our

VoIP . By the way , via T1 PRI is best than others

way .

Thanks and lucky .

This are good news :-) Is it possible that you could send me the configuration of the devices - or maybe some tips how to configure them?

They are both (E1/T1 & PBX) configured for ISDN PRI, but they don't work together :-( What we have to change?

Thanks a lot!

ISDN is definetly the way to go if you want to pass CLID. We have done both PRI and CAS with good results on the 3640. Gotchas to watch out for: Who provides clocking--the Nortel or the 3640;wh expects to receive clocking; watch out for who is the the NET/USR side of the ISDN link--Meridian will usually want to be USR side unless you are running SL1 ISDN or NI2 ISDN CBCT; if you are tandem routing calls through the Meridian, watch for your TGAR/TARG restrictions. I am not as familiar with QSIG ISDN as the EU crowd, but maybe that would allow the Nortel to be the NET side???