Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

NT Account

When a subscriber is created in Unity SA a mailbox and NT account are also created. If that NT account is deleted later it seems that everything works ok except the web assistant. I would like to know what are the exact rolls of that NT account and relationship of that account with Unity subscriber. If a user does not want to use Web Assistant then it does not need NT account. <br>Thanx<br><br><br>Sean Poure<br>NEC-Voice Engineering<br>Sr. Systems Engineer<br>714 4846275<br>

Sean Poure
3 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: NT Account

Couple of parts to this question. First, NT accounts are entirely optional (I’ll explain why you want them in a second). You can, in fact, modify the registry such that you can create users via the SA that have no NT accounts at all (so you don’t have to go delete them later). This is handy for voice mail only users that don’t need network access. To enable this, head to the registry and go to:

HKLM\Software\Active Voice\SystemParameters\1.0

Make a DWORD key called "Optional NT Account in Subscriber Add" and set its value to 1. Once you’ve done this and restarted Unity when you create a new subscriber in the SA, you’ll see a checkbox on there asking you if you want to create an NT account for this user or not.

Normally, you’re going to want an NT account for folks on the network (of course) and also for the reason you note. Unity uses NT challenge and response security when authenticating users trying to gain access to the SA/AA. When you hit the page, NT passes us the user’s NT login/PW (or “token”) to us and we use that info to find the Exchange account and then lookup their COS and see if they are allowed on. Even if you have IE setup to force the user to provide a login/PW manually, it's still checked against the NT directory for a match (Unity has nothing to do with this).

If they don’t have an NT account (not sure how they’re logging on to your network, but hey) then this process is going to fail.

The only legitimate reason for trying to create users without NT accounts is for voice mail only users. If these folks are trying to use SA/AA they need to log into your network somehow or another and they should have NT accounts.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Hi Jeff,
I created a subscriber without a NT account. I created a NT user. In Exchange Admin In the property of the recipient I associated the mailbox with the NT account that I created for the subscriber. I login to the network with that account. I can go to Web Assistant. My class of service allows that subscriber to use the Web Assistant. It seems to work. Here this is what I did in preparation for win2k and exchange 2k. I installed Unity on win2k as a member server to win 2k DC running in mixed mode. I installed Exchange 5.5 on Unity. I created my subscribers in unity without a NT account. In Exchange Admin I associated the ADS win2k accounts with the recipients. Now I have access to Web Assistant. I installed Exchange 2000(email server) joining my Unity Exchange 5.5 site in mixed mode. I moved my mailboxes to the Exchange 2000 server. (Disk space issue). Things are working fine. When I have a Unity that runs on exchange 2000 I will upgrade my Unity exchange to 2000. Change the mode to Native then I upgrade t o Unity 2.5. Please let me know where you are at with your export utility for Call Handlers and objects and importing them back to Unity.
Thanx

Sean Poure
NEC-Voice Engineering
Sr. Systems Engineer
714 4846275

Sean Poure
Anonymous
N/A

Well... all I can say is you're skating on very thin ice... if you have problems with this system, we wont support it.

Unity running in an environment with Ex2K is not supported in any way, no exceptions.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Views
Helpful
Replies