Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Number of Lines per phone

I was wondering what other people have done to combat this problem. Currently the 7960 phones have 6 line ext possible. Well what do you do if you have Executive assistance that need to monitor multiple VP's phone lines. Example line 1 has the assist number line 2 and 3 are one VP's lines 4 and 5 are another VP and Line 6 is another, so how can you get it where they can monitor more than just 3 other persons line ext's?

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Number of Lines per phone

Right now, the best solution is to use Cisco WebAttendant on the assistant's PC. It will show a directory of the users, and you can drag users to a different part of the screen so that those users' phone lines can be monitored for status.

Later in the year (don't have an exact timeframe) there will be an expansion module for the 7960 phone -- model number will be 7914 -- that contains 14 extra buttons that can be used for lines, speed dials, or a combination. Up to two 7914 expansion modules can be used on a single 7960 phone, so if they are all lines, that will be a total of 34 lines on one phone.

Re: Number of Lines per phone

We have run into this situation many times.

There are a couple of solutions...

The best we have found is to put a second 7960 IP Phone on the secretary's desk that has up to six additional lines that he/she can monitor plus however many free lines are left on her 7960.

We have also done a similar workaround by using a VIP30+ IP Phone, unfortunately you can only put up to 12 lines on it and you don;t have the nice display like the 7960's. Caution the VIP30+'s only support G711 and G723, we broke this solution a couple of times by turning off g711 inside our VoIP infrastructure.

The webattendant is clunky and buggy in my opinion, we tried to get a customer to beta test using it for us and after just two days the customer stopped using it.

I am currently evaluating a third party application that could be a replacement for Cisco's web attendant. It's called ArcConnect, from ArcSolutions, http://www.arcsolutions.com so far it looks interesting, but I'm still setting it up.

tim

Tim Medley, CCNP+Voice

Network Architect

VoIP Group

iReadyWorld

Views
Helpful
Replies