Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Opening Greeting and the Operator

I have an operator at extension 8300. I only want one greeting (the opening greeting) for this extension. I need for the operator to be able to change the greeting. Also, the operator almost always answers the phone during business hours, but just in case she misses the call I want the opening greeting to allow the caller to attempt to ring the 8300 extension again. This all sounds like a relatively simple setup, but I'm having trouble making this work the way I want it to.<br><br>Brian Carscadden<br>SE Manager/Sr. System Engineer<br>CCNA, CCDA, CIPT, MCP<br>TransNet Corporation<br>908 253-0500

9 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Opening Greeting and the Operator

Set up your Opening Greeting handler with Alternate Greeting enabled, but set to Blank. Select the After Greeting action to Send to Greeting for subscriber 8300. Record your main greeting here, and subscriber 8300 should also be able to change this from the telephone. Point the Caller Input for zero to x8300 in this box so they can ring out to the console.

Does that do the trick?

Scott Morgan
Cisco Systems TAC

Anonymous
N/A

So far so good. Now I want to give the Operator her own personal greeting and forward the messages to the 8300 mailbox. Can I create a Call Handler with ext 7771 that plays her personal greeting, then takes a message, and makes extension 8300 the message recipient?

I'll push my luck further and ask if I can give the operator the ability to modify the 7771 call handler greeting.

Or... would this have been a whole lot easier if I just created two mailboxes. I monkey'ed with this before and it just wasn't working well.

Brian Carscadden
SE Manager/Sr. System Engineer
CCNA, CCDA, CIPT, MCP
TransNet Corporation
908 253-0500

Anonymous
N/A

There's not currently a way for a general subscriber to modify greetings for call handlers over the phone. Using a handler for 7771 would work but the greeting wouldn't be easily changeable.

You could either create a custom class of service that would allow her to edit call handlers using the SA, or else use 2 mailboxes, although that can get confusing in a hurry.

Unity 3.x will allow assigning multiple extensions to mailboxes to make this sort of handler management a bit easier.

Scott Morgan
Cisco Systems TAC

Anonymous
N/A

A problem cropped up with this solution. If I reach the Opening Greeting (which has the Alternate Greeting enabled and blank, after call routes to the Subscriber which is the operator, then plays her greeting (the pseudo opening greeting that the operator can modify), It appears that when someone attempts a sign-in (by pressing *), and after they log in, they are prompted "to leave a message for *the operator's name* press 1" and nothing else. What happened?

Brian Carscadden
CCNA, CCDA, CIPT, MCP
TransNet Corporation
908 253-0500

Anonymous
N/A

Hmm, that's expected behavior if you sign in to your account from another person's greeting. I hadn't thought of that. If they press '2', or do nothing, does it take them to their mailbox?

Scott Morgan
Cisco Systems TAC

Anonymous
N/A

I pressed 2 and it greeted me with my normal login welcome. Oddly though it didn't state this in the initial greeting "press one to leave a message for *operator*". This is going to be confusing for the users. Is there a way around this?

Brian Carscadden
CCNA, CCDA, CIPT, MCP
TransNet Corporation
908 253-0500

Anonymous
N/A

It's going to play the name of the subscriber since we're really in a subscriber mailbox. It might be easier if you swap the mailbox with the call handler, so that it ends up going to the call handler instead of the subscriber. This way people would get the normal sign-in conversation rather than the sub-to-sub sign-in. Unfortunately, that would take away the ability to change the main greeting over the telephone ... which is what complicates the whole situation in the first place.

I'm pretty sure there are plans to implement telephone management of call handlers in the 3.x product, but I'm not sure if that will be available in 3.0.

Scott Morgan
Cisco Systems TAC

Unity 3.0 does not have the ability to change call handler greetings over the phone. This feature might make it in Unity 3.2 which is going to be released sometime next year.

Anonymous
N/A

You could also set up a "back door" number for subscribers to call when checking messages, so they don't end up in the operator's mailbox.

For example, you can program a phantom extension in the switch that forwards all calls to Unity, then set up a call handler for that extension that either plays an internal welcome greeting.

This method could also be implemented with a routing rule that sends calls forwarded from that phantom extension to a sign-in routine.

Have subscribers dial the phantom to check voicemail, or point the message button on their phone to it, and it should make it less confusing.

Scott Morgan
Cisco Systems TAC

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content