cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ordering Upgrades

a.gooding
Level 5
Level 5

Having a little diffuculty sourcing part numbers.

customer has 2 7800 MCS servers, one running CCM4.0 and the other UNITY 4.0.

i need to upgrade both licenses for each.

can you point me in the right direction. the part numbers would be great :)

CCM- upgrade to 200 users

VM- 100

16 Replies 16

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

For CCM, all you need is to get the phones and their associated licenses.

CP-7941 -- 7941 phone

SW-CCM-UL-7941 -- associated license

For voicemail, if its unified messaging with Exchange, get 100 units of the following.

UNITY-UM-USR-E

or UNITY-VM-USR-E for VM only

HTH

Sankar

PS: Please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Just to clear something up

The call manager comes ordered with 100 users.

therefore when im ordering the phones, i dont order the licenses for the first 100?. when i exceed that then i add licenses only to suite?

with the unity its just VM.

need to upgrade to 100 users instead of the default 25. also, if i do upgrade, will it add to the 25 making it 125 or not?

With Callmanager 4.x there is no license enforcement. Are you using a 7815 ? Callmanager software for 7815 comes with 100 device license and you can upgrade that up to 300 devices.

With a 7825 you can use upto 1000 devices, with 7835 you can go up to 2500 devices, so on and so forth. So all you need to do is get the required number of phones and their associated licenses (SW-CCM-UL's)

For Unity, if you have 25 users now, when you buy 100 of the license shown in the above post, you need to send the PAK number you get and the mac-address and they will send youa new license file. All you need to do is run the License wizard in Unity and point to the new license file.

Make sure you save all the license files together in some safe place, as well as the PAK numbers.

HTH

Sankar.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Good ratings with this one

thanks a lot. im familiar with the pak etc, but upgrade paths were a little confusing.

again thanks

Hold on though,

so for ccm i need only the license per phone.

BUT, for ccme, i need to purchase the releveant user license as well as the license per phone.

Hi Arvind,

When you purchase a CME feature License (to implement CME) it is based on the number of users and includes the appropriate user Licenses.For example, if you were setting up an office with 40 users you might order;

FL-CCME-48

Which would leave you room to expand by 8 new people somewhere down the road.Then when you ordered the phones you would order them with the appropriate license as Sankar suugested.

License Prerequisites

You must purchase a base Cisco Unified CME feature license and phone user licenses that entitle you to use Cisco Unified CME.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00806a7fe5.html#wp1001403

Note that "All Cisco IP Phones require the purchase of a phone technology license, regardless of the call protocol server phone is attached to."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_data_sheet09186a008008884a.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Arvind,

Just like Rob mentioned,

For CCME you will need the Feature License (FL-CCME-XX) which usually is bundled if you get a CCME router bundle. For example. you can get a 2851 CCME bundle (CISCO2851-CCME/K9) which will have a 64 channel dsp and a 96 user (phone) feature license all bundled together. Its so cheap to buy a bundle than to buy all of them separate. The bundle also comes with a voice enabled IOS (IP Voice or SP services)

Licenses are still required on a per phone basis. (just like Callmanager)Part nos will look like SW-CCME-UL-7941, SW-CCME-UL-7961 etc.

HTH

Sankar.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

One last question though,

suppose the customer wants to migrate to CCM for future expansion. will he then need new CCM licenses per phone or will the ccme licenses carry over?

Hi

Your CME phone licenses are carried over to CM - at least up to 4.2 (I've no idea how you'd get a license file for CM5.0 if you have CME... but I'm sure there must be a way?)

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Yes you have investment protection with CCME and SRST. Licenses carry over. Not sure about CCM 5.0 though.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Hey guys,

Just thought I would throw in this good Licensing doc for CCM 5.0;

Migrating from Cisco CallManager 4.0(x) to 5.0(x)

When you migrate from Cisco CallManager version 4.0(x) to 5.0(x), the licenses that are required for existing phones and existing Cisco CallManager nodes is calculated and an intermediate file (XML file) that contains these license counts will be generated during the Cisco CallManager migration process. These licenses are given free of cost because you are already using these phones for Cisco CallManager version 4.x. If you are provisioning new phones and nodes after migrating to Cisco CallManager 5.0(x), you need to paste the intermediate license file in the License Registration window on CCO.

Use the following procedure to register existing licenses and request for new licenses.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 In Cisco CallManager Administration, choose System > Licensing > License File Upload.

The License File Upload window displays.

Step 2 Click View File. A pop-up window displays that has the license information for existing phones and nodes. Copy this information. To copy the contents on this windrow, you can use Ctrl-A (Select All) and Ctrl-C (Copy).

Step 3 On the License Registration window of CCO website, in the text box provided, paste the file contents using Ctrl-V.

Step 4 You must enter the MAC address of the Cisco CallManager server that you are requesting the licenses for, and a valid E-mail Id.

Step 5 To obtain the actual license file, click Submit. A license file is generated.

Step 6 You must upload the license file to the server with the matching MAC address that you provided in Step 4. See the "Uploading a License file" section in the Cisco CallManager Administration Guide. This node takes on the functionality of the license manager.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080531ebb.html#wp1100548

Take care!

Rob

One final question

So i have a ccm bundle 100 user license. that applies to the phone right? meaning, i dont have to buy 100 phone licenses for this. and from the 101st phone i will then need a license?.

cause initially, i was thinking that that 100 was user license which is separate from phone license. therefore, if i have for example a 100 user license and im add 140 persons, ill need to have

1. a 200 user license

2. license for each phone.

Hi Arvind,

In answer to your two questions;

"So i have a ccm bundle 100 user license. that applies to the phone right? meaning, i dont have to buy 100 phone licenses for this. and from the 101st phone i will then need a license?."

This is incorrect. You will need a license for every phone.Have a look;

Note that "All Cisco IP Phones require the purchase of a phone technology license, regardless of the call protocol server phone is attached to."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_data_sheet09186a008008884a.html

"cause initially, i was thinking that that 100 was user license which is separate from phone license. therefore, if i have for example a 100 user license and im add 140 persons, ill need to have

1. a 200 user license

2. license for each phone."

This is correct.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

This is so basic im embarrassed to ask :)

so i get what youre saying, therefore, if i need to add 100 extra users on an existing 100 server user license i need to get another 100 user license as well as the per phone license.

hence, is there a part number for user license? or upgrading.

i think this is the last question - how do i verify the server license on the callmanager itself

thanks a mil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: