cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Orphaned vm

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

W2k, sp1, Exchange 5.5 sp3 (last hotfix available), Unity 2.46.102<br>We had to rebuild a mailbox using exmerge because their directory name was different than our standard naming convention. The mailbox was also a vm. I assumed the rebuild would have not effect on the vm side since everything remained the same, alias, names, etc. Except for the directory name. I logged the mailbox out of Unity per procedure on 2.46 readme. When the mailbox was rebuilt, Unity no longer showed the mailbox as a Unity subscriber. Now I see errors in the event logs showing the account used to install Unity trying to access that mailbox using the old distiguished name. Any way to correct that?<br><br>schois

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

ExMerge is dangerous and can (and does) wax custom properties without warning. We've had sites using ExMerge run into problems before.

Does the user show up in the list if you go to import an existing Exchange user? If not, the only way to clear the user up entirely is to remove them as a subscriber and reimport them. If you're in a state where we don't show the user in the SA (i.e. the call handler reference was waxed or something) then you have to go into DOHPropTest and remove the custom properties (there's a field called "custom properties" that you can delete to get them all at once). You need the DPT password of the day for this. Once you've dont that you can import them again and get all the custom properties back in order.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Using the SA the mbx showed up to be imported. The original disappeared from Unity, ie, the SA doesn't show it. I imported the mbx in and it's working fine. It's just that there appears to be some orphaned piece in Unity that keeps trying to access to old box. I am concerned with performance and how to deal with this in the future. Thx

schois

Not applicable

Yeah, there may be links from other objects to the old subscriber and there will certainly be an orphaned call handler from the old user.

download dbWalker from my web site and run it. It'll give you a run down on all bad links/orphaned objects in your system so you can clean them up (it's an odds on bet there'll be a few others hanging around, there usually are).

In general, I don't reccomend running exmerge on voice mail users... it will definitely cause you problems.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: