Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outbound calls to 911 showing no address, BTN only

I have been fighting with my telco on this for a couple of days now, and I have a TAC case open on this, but I wanted to throw this out and see if anyone else has any ideas.

We have three locations. When someone from one building calls 911, the billing telephone number appears (should be the DID number), and no corresponding address shows up on the dispatcher's screen. When someone tries to dial 911 from the other two locations, the address where our six ISDN PRI's come in at the 6608 blade on our 6509 (should be two separate addys) appears and the BTN (again, should be the DID) from where our PRI's come in appears on the dispatcher's screen. I seem to be the only one at my workplace that views this as a problem.

I have tried changing numerous things on the CCM - the Numbering Plan Info value in the system parameters for the CCM service from 1 to 0, the Called/Calling Numbering Plan on the gateways from CallManager to National Standard (as suggested by the telco), even changing the external number mask - but not one thing worked...we even lost the ability to dial out for awhile. The first thing the telco told me to do was to change the PRI signalling type from DMS100 to NI2, which went fine, but didn't fix the issue. From the very beginning I felt that there was something going on with the telco's switch (they told me that they made some "adjustments" recently for E911).

I have checked the Q931 debugs, and this is what I am seeing (the same thing happens at all three locations in regards to inbound and outbound calls, I've changed the phone numbers for privacy):

Inbound call:

SETUP pd = 8 callref = 0x18F3

Bearer Capability i = 0x8090A2

Channel ID i = 0xA98382

Progress Ind i = 0x8283 - Origination address is non-ISDN

Calling Party Number i = '!', 0x81, '3125554444'

Called Party Number i = 0x80, '2222'

Outbound call:

SETUP pd = 8 callref = 0x0006

Bearer Capability i = 0x8090A2

Channel ID i = 0xA98392

Progress Ind i = 0x8083 - Origination address is non-ISDN

Display i = '<EMPLOYEE NAME>'

Calling Party Number i = 0x0081, '3125554444'

Called Party Number i = 0x80, '13125553333'

It looks to my inexperienced eyes that we're sending the correct number of digits out; I'm not sure what's happening on the inbound calls, although I suspect that that is definitely not correct.

Is there anything else at all on my end that could be causing the 911 calls not to display the DID/address correctly? I need to rule that out before I start leaning harder on the telco that it just might be their switch...

Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TMH

3 REPLIES

Re: Outbound calls to 911 showing no address, BTN only

I know what you are going through here after working my way through a long Emergency Responder Project.

Ok so the 911 voice network is a seperate network from the PSTN. It is a quite complex network by the way. Normally provisioned PRI's are not able to send the appropriate calling number information to the ALI database that resides on the 911 network. Usually the 911 call center can only see your PRI's BTN.

For example Bell South has their "Pin Point" Service which configures their DMS switches to pass the proper calling number to the ALI database. Also part of this service is that we send Bell South all of our 911 Location DID numbers that map to a location description. They make the ALI DB changes for us.

So no matter what you do you will always send the BTN unless you get this "Pin Point" type of service on your PRI's or get a seperate CAMA trunk that is becoming outdated.

HTH.

Mike

Thanks so much for your response, that definitely sheds some light on things.

What just kills me is that we had the system working with our PRI's before they made their "adjustments." I don't know exactly what those adjustments entailed, but I will do more digging.

In the meantime, I am assuming (and we all know what happens when we assume) that something like a "Pin Point" service was in place before the alleged adjustments, and our telco needs some time to recreate it. Like I said, I will do more digging and see if our telco has something like that, and if we need to send them our location DID numbers.

I suppose there really isn't much I can do on our CCM side at all, which is more than a little frustrating. It's even more frustrating, because this is the third time I've been through this with two different phone companies...

Thanks again for you help - it is appreciated.

TMH

I have been working on a similar configuration for another school district in the Chicagoland area, so am pretty comfortable troubleshooting this type of issue.

Without knowing your complete configuration it will take a little to isolate the problem... but I do have some ideas...

I have too many questions to list out here, so if you feel comfortable discussing this over the telephone, send an e-mail to me at:

jbartlett@netrixllc.com

and I will reply with my cell phone number so you can call me to discuss some ideas I have.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content