cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Outside Dial tone

lammbo
Level 1
Level 1

I'm new to telephony and I'm slightly confused about 1 aspect of my route patterns. I would like to provide outside dialtone for external DNs, I would like the dialtone to play right after they hit 9 (as in 9.XXXXXX). Right now, the dial tone doesn't play until after the 5th digit.

How can I alter this?

6 Replies 6

lnthompson
Level 1
Level 1

Can you post the rest of your route patterns? There is a good chance that you are matching digits on another pattern.

"When making calls to external numbers, Cisco CallManager can be configured to provide outside dialtone after an initial access code is dialed. For example, if you have a route pattern of 9.@ , you may want Cisco CallManager to play the external dialtone after entering the 9. In cases when this does not occur, it is due to an overlap of the dial plan configured on the CallManager. Cisco CallManager will play the outside dialtone when the pattern is unique. So if you have configured the 9.@ pattern, and perhaps a call park range of 9xx, CallManager will wait until the pattern is unique enough before playing the outside dialtone. The dot in the route pattern has nothing to do with when dialtone is played out to the caller. Places to look for overlap are other route patterns, MeetMe patterns, Call Park, Call Pickup, voicemail dns."

Just a little addition to the otherwise excellent explanation above:

Outside dial tone will be played even when the patterns that could match is not unique. The condition that must true for the tone to be provided is 'all patterns that are potential matches must have the 'Provide Outside Dial Tone' checkbox checked'. So you could potentially have 5, 6 7, or however many route patterns all begining with '9'. As long as they are all configured to provide outside dial tone, and as long as there are no other overlapping patterns that are not configured to provide outside dial tone, then dial tone should be provided after the first digit is dialed.

Regards.

Ahhh, I thank you both for the explanations. However, I am still slightly at a loss. First, I correct my original statement - Dialtone plays once the 3rd character is pressed, not the 5th.

Now, based on that info. - 911 is the only other route pattern I have that starts with a 9 besides the 9.@ patterns (no DN starts with 9 either). The pattern for 911 (=911, not 9.911) is not set to provide outside dial tone. So, shouldn't I get dial tone as soon as I hit the first digit - 9?

Hi John,

Maybe I didn't understand your last post, but if you say that the 911 route pattern does *not* have 'Provide Outside Dial Tone' checked, then you should not get the tone after dialing the first digit.

Digit analysis is done each time a digit is dialed. In the course of digit analysis, the available patterns are evaluated and classified either as matches, potential matches, or not matches. At the point during digit analysis when all patterns that are classified as 'potential matches' have 'Provide Outside Dial Tone' checked, then the tone will be played.

Outside tone will only be provided after digit analysis excludes all patterns that do not have 'Provide Outside Dial Tone' checked as potential matches. So in your case, if the tone is being provided after the 3rd digit, it simply means that there is another pattern that begins with the first 2 digits you dialed, and which does not have "Provide Outside Dial Tone' checked.

Hope this is clear.

Regards.

Not applicable

all my rp options have the "provide Outside Dial Tone" checked...but i am still not getting dialtone till after the second digit is dialed.

I do have one DN that is 9784 could this interfere with my 9. RP's?

How do i fix that? the 9784 is a 800 that comes into my PRI.

Thanks

This could definitely interfere. One way to workaround this is to use H.323 and translate the 9784 at the gateway.