Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Paging and Speed Dial

I set up a paging system with a FXO port on a router, and when I dial 610 the phone will access the FXO port and activate the page. My problem is when I set up a speed dial on that phone to page it does not work I just get a fast busy, I even added in another digit so my speed dial is set to dial 6101 but that still does not work.

Any Ideas

thanks

Ken

6 REPLIES

Re: Paging and Speed Dial

Is your gateway setup as H.323 or MGCP?

I have done this before with H.323 and FXS ports. FXO/FXS/E&M should not make a difference in a H.323 configuration since the CallManager does not know or care what the physical endpoint is.

my gateway is MGCP, I am starting not to like MGCP.

MGCP certainly has some negative points, but it has a lot of positive ones too.

Though for the most part it's officially NOT supported, I have setup gateways as both H.323 and MGCP to accomodate features I needed from both protocols. If you find that is necessary to use both on the same gateway, be prepared to pay the consequences should they arise. Personally, I would always recommend using H.323 over MGCP unless you need the added features available in MGCP.

I have found a beter way to do paging. I am doing multicast pageing to the phone. It is not expensive and found it easier to deploy.

Unfortunately multicast paging to phones only works where you have IP phones. Many times large warehouses and outdoor areas do not have enough IP phones to create an effective page zone. Also, many businesses have existing paging systems that cannot be inexpensively replaced with IP based equipment. I would be interested in more info on what you are using though (Make, Model, etc).

Thanks,

Brian

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content