Views
Helpful
Replies

Paging System through FXS Port on Router

jmujica
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I know that until now one of the ways to do Intercom is to setup an FXS port to an external paging system (i.e. horn). I already look at the forum for an example configuration or a link that can provide me that info without any luck. Where can I find information regarding that type of configuration and also which type of horn do I need to wire to the FXS port. Any horn?

Any ideas?

TIA,

-Jose

10 Replies 10

tim.medley
Level 2
Level 2

You can use any traditional paging system that can connect via an fxs or fxo connection. I've integrated several Valcom paging systems in this manner with CallManager using NM-2v's w/ VIC-2FXS in 2600 and 3600 series routers.

Basically all you need to do is create a route pattern in CCM that routes the call to the gateway where the FXS port is. On the gateway create a dial-peer that routes the call to the fxs port.

For example, create a route pattern in CCM, 55 and route it to the gateway. On the gateway I used this dial-peer:

dial-peer voice 55 pots

description Valcom Paging

destination pattern 55

forward digits-all

port 1/0/0

When a call to 55 is recieved by the gateway it passes the call to my fxs port 1/0/0.

Very straight forward config. You could use an ATA-186 instead of an fxs port on a router amd all you;d have to do is assign the paging DN to a port on the ATA-186; you wouldn't need the route pattern or the dial-peer.

tm

Tim Medley, CCDP, CCNP

IPT Consultant

http://www.iptnetworkers.com

Thanks a lot Tim.. But is there any special config on the FXS port itself??

I understand all the call routing logic but I don't know if I need to use some special config on the FXS port itself..

TIA,

-Jose

Generally you do not have to configure anything under the fxs voice port in the router.

tm

Tim Medley, CCDP, CCNP

IPT Consultant

http://www.iptnetworkers.com

You may need to look into a Station Level Page Adapter like the Valcom 9940 or 9970 in order to use an FXS. FXO should be able to work without the Station Level Page Adapter.

Hi..

I would like to know how does the paging stuff works using an FXS port on the router. If the FXS line is seize up then the router should apply dial-tone. Am I right? So how does the paging actually works through the FXS port.

I need someone to clarify that to me because I'm in the process of enabling a paging system (I don't even know which paging system the clients is going to use) through the FXS port on the router as is the only voice-port available at the moment.

TIA,

-Jose

You need only follow Tim's instructions. After that you will need to configure the paging system control unit to determine how the incoming call will be handled.Read the documentation for your paging control unit, that will probably tell you what you need to know.

Sorry to bother you guys again. I got a particular scenario with one of my customers. They instead of having an actual paging system.. they have a couple of horns connected to an Amplifier and in the amplifier they have a Microphone.. Now instead of using the microphone they would like to connect the FXS port directly into the Amplifier so people from any phone dial an extension and page someone. I don't know if that can be done. After I connect the FXS port into the amplifier the router applies dial-tone to the amplifier and they hear the dial-tone through all the horns available.

Is there anyway I can make this work with this particular scenario that my client has..

TIA,

-Jose

We use the FXO ports to do our paging because the Intercom Systems provide Dial tone. Then we are able to dial feature codes to access an all-page or individual rooms.

Instead of the forward-digits all, you would want to use the forward-digits 0

Hope this helps.

Here's my understanding, hopefully this isn't backwords.

The FXS port simulates an analog phone line for legacy devices. So when you hook up your amplifier/horn, the router(FXS) goes offhook and applies dialtone to the line. Your amplifier/horn is missing the switching mechanism to turn off/on the circuit when needed. I'm not sure if an FXO port would work, you would call, the router would want to send ring tone to the line, but the line would already be off hook, so maybe it would work. Chances are you'd still need some more logic in the amp/horn to tell when it was supposed to come on.

bennypoole
Level 1
Level 1

the best on the market is valcom. use the horns with local power so you don't need an amp. they also offer zone interfaces that are a little more diff. to set up but work great

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: