cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Panic Button!!

jolo07310
Level 5
Level 5

Due to natural of business, some department would like to have panic button on their desk, so they can info security by pushing one button.

I am thinking create intercom or speed dial, but the user want to have some red light flash at security desk (the flash red light on the phone is not big enough).

I think we can solder the some sort of LED light blub. I mean is there anyone done that before???

I am not a electician, but I want to have someone told me the parts I need to accomplish this task.

Thanks a lot!!!!

12 Replies 12

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Ken,

You could setup a hotline (PLAR) on the desired phone so that when the user selects that line, it rings an analog fxs interface on a ata, vg224, vg248 etc and light a strobe light or something. You can get a phone flasher from radioshack for 20 bucks.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102608&cp=2032052.2032075.2032077.2032094&parentPage=family

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Also if you know XML you can write a script to interact with your CCM that when a normal panic button is pressed that it is able to direct the CCM to flash certain phone screens and MWI light to notify anyone at the security desk. I don't know how to write this just yet but yesterday we heard the idea from someone pitching our court house on physical security ideas and how they can be integrated with our Cisco network. If I figure out how to write the code for this I will repost. The pitch was from 2 employees of Cisco.

Matt,

I want to some big/noticable red light when the user push the panic button. The MWI is too small and unnoticable sometime if the security is busy for something else.

Thanks your great idea though.

Ken

You are welcome.

Now that I understand what the other posts were saying I plan on looking into it, that might be something I could do here though I haven't gotten the second analog line on our ATA devices to work. I think I may have the wrong template set up in CallManager it is using the 186 not 188.

As far as your reply in my situation our gaurd station is permenantly staffed and all they do is watch the camera screens and security phone. I didn't take into account a gaurd being distracted for other reasons. Also the screen on the phone would light up and the phone would switch to speaker automatically with an audible alert. I didn't mention that in the previous post.

Good luck implementing it all.

Sankar,

let me understand your idea.

At the enduser side, I configure for instance 2nd button for PLAR. Anyway, can I configure PLAR at 2nd button, because the phone will use as regular phone call, I dont want to use lift up the phone and dial to security. I want a user to push 2nd button, if that is the case, I can create speed dial or intercom.

Then at the security desk, I will use ATA 186/188 that will connect to bright Strobe light. My question for this is that the security wont know which department calling from, right?? I want to install IP Phone at security, so they will know which department come from.

Thanks

Ken

Hi Ken,

I like Sankar's idea, and it could be set up on Line 2;

On the device CSS leave as normal (Local, LD whatever you want). On the Line 2 CSS apply the new Hotline CSS. On the Line 1 CSS leave as . I just tried this in the lab and it works perfectly.

From the Security desk end, use the VG analog port for the Flashing Lamp only and install a IP Phone with a shared line with the Lamp. That way you get the lamp and Call Display on the IP Phone.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Ken,

Rob pretty much nailed it!!

Sankar.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Hello Rob, This all looks good to me 9On the device CSS leave as normal (Local, LD whatever you want). On the Line 2 CSS apply the new Hotline CSS. On the Line 1 CSS leave as .)....One question, How do you get to dial the number by selecting line 2....Thanks in Advance!!

Hi Jack,

In order to allow the phone to automatically dial a pre-configured phone number when the user presses Line 2, a CSS is configured (and applied to Line 2) with a partition that contains a translation pattern with a blank translation pattern string. This results in Cisco CallManager immediately matching this pattern. The translation pattern then transforms the called number (i.e. none) to the destination number (Hotdial) where we want the call sent.Remember to apply the CSS as noted in the previous post.

From this good doc;

Hotdial on IP Phones with CallManager Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_configuration_example09186a0080232b9f.shtml#steps

Hope this helps!

Rob

Why should users push the panic button on every Phone? i mean it would be better to have one phone for every departement configured with PLAR. As user may push the panic button by mistake on their phone. So pushing the panic button on only one phone on that departement would make sense.

Guys,

I just install what Shanky suggest, it works what we want it.

However, here is what I think:

If you want to do plar on second button, why dont we use speed dial, same result... I dont see much different.

Bottom line, we like this most cost-saving way to have panic button on user's phone.

Thanks for help.

Ken

Hi Ken,

I think you are correct in this assessment! The only thing I would caution against is making sure that your users don't have access to change this Speeddial via the ccmuser web gui. You would want to make sure that this setting remains intact in case of Emergency. When you, as the the administrator, set this up as a Plar at least it won't change :)

Take care'

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: