cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Path code errors on Voice PRI

lkauderer
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3640 router with a 24 channel voice PRI coming into it for local inbound and outbound calls. We are getting numerous amounts of path code violations, but not line code violations. The Telco has tested the circuit multiple times with no errors to the CSU. The framing and linecode config is the same on both sides. Has anyone seen this situation and if so, was there a solution?

4 Replies 4

rokibbe
Level 1
Level 1

The documentation defines path code violations as "...a frame synchronization bit error in the D4 and E1-noCRC formats, or a CRC error in the ESF and E1-CRC formats...." This isn't stuff that's controlled in the config, other than making sure that the router is set to whatever format the telco has the data formatted in. For example, you may have both routers set to ESF, but if the telco is formatting the data on BOTH circuits as SF, there'll be problems.

Aside from making sure that you have a decent IOS image on the router for the module or VIC you're using, there's not much opening a case can do. Remember that this circuit is most likely not one continuous piece of wire from one site to the other, so troubleshoot each end independently. Also have the telco what DATA CODING they're using--the answer should be either normal or inverted. I've seen situations where the telco is inverted, but didn't bother to tell since data coding isn't one of the "big, obvious" parameters people look for on a T1. Cisco gear defaults to normal. If the telco doesn't know what you're talking about, escalate among them till you find somebody that does.

Thanks for the info.

jerald.love
Level 1
Level 1

I just experience a similar problem on a 3660. Which code are you running.

I am running 12.1.5yd4.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: