Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Blue

PBX Integration CSU/DSU???

I am connecting a 1751 to a Definity G3. On the PBX side I do not have a CSU/DSU. On the router side I have a MFT-T1 card which obviously has a built in CSU/DSU. I have done a few integrations to a Definity and each time I have had a CSU/DSU on the PBX side. When I do a "debug isdn q912" I see my SABME TX transmits and on the RX side I get "BAD FRAMES". My opinion is that the missing CSU/DSU is causing my problem. A few people I have talked to told me it was a clocking issue (this G3 cannot provide clocking so I have configured the router to do the clocking) and not a CSU/DSU issue. It is my understanding that if you have a CSU/DSU on one side you need it on the other side. If anyone has any thoughts please comment.

Thanks

3 REPLIES

Re: PBX Integration CSU/DSU???

As I understand it, and I could be wrong, the CSU/DSU converts the signal from serial to 1-pair TDM. Essentially, if the port on the Definity is RJ-45, then you will not need a CSU/DSU, because RJ-45 will not support a serial connection. The "BAD FRAMES" could well indicate a clocking issue, or a linecode/framing config mismatch. Unfortunately, without a CSU/DSU you don't get the nice color-coded alarms. I have connected a voice gateway with a G3 (in my case it was a AS5300 gateway) and other than the PRI card, no special hardware was needed on the G3 side.

Blue

Thanks for the reply. It turns out the the 5ess switchtype does not support the Cisco Gateway being the Network Side (isdn protocol emulate network) I had to change to primary-ni on both sides and have the Gateway be the network side. Once I did that I got multiple frames established and everything came up on both sides. I am still having a little trouble. If I have debug isdn q931 and I make a call I do not see the q931 messages (even if I do a csim start number which rules out CallManager issues) I do not see the q931 messages. I have never configured a router to be the Network side so I am not sure if the q931 messages are different. All I see are some status_enq messages every now and again. Any ideas.

this can and does work send me an e-mail and I will send you a config for both sides.

scott

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content