Views
Helpful
Replies

PC_Base softphone application

stephen.wilcox
Level 1
Level 1

I'm seeking professional help!

I'm trying to understand IP Phones better. I'm have trouble understanding the CoS/ToS that a softphone application configures and uses. This is important to me since I want to know the QoS and How it is determined between nodes on the same switch in the same vlan. I keep getting the same response back, but first a scenario:

Devices

IP Phone

Cat. 6509 w/PFC2/MSFC2

6348-rj45 blades

Call Manager on separate Segment

Each switch has Vlans for separate Voice and Data where applicable, but this is not feasible when softphones are used as standalone devices

A supervisor receives a phone call from his employee in the same location. While the supervisor is helping his employee, another call form an internal employee comes in. At the same time or maybe before the calls started the supervisor is downloading a large file which will take an extensive amount of time. How is QoS insured in this case?

Ok:

I know the IPPREC and DSCP are Lyr3 ToS and CoS is Lyr 2.

I know the IPPrec and DSCP are not supported on the 6348 blade since the blade is Lyr2.

I know the CoS is only supported for HardPhone QoS.

I

know the same answer I receive is not to the question I asking, It's the text book configuration for PC-Base softphone on the switch. Which will be configured for Segment to Segment and Vlan to Vlan communication.

What controls interVlan QoS for PC_Base Softphones and How if at all is it configured.

1 Reply 1

bbaley
Level 3
Level 3

Your best bet would be to open a TAC case with Cisco if you are currently trying to set this up or get with your local Cisco sales representative.