cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PC's with no speakers

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

About 1/3 of the PCs in our firm have no speakers. The Unity salesperson told us this wouldn't be a problem because these staff could just use the ViewMail feature to direct the playback to their phone.<br><br>This is somewhat true, but I have a revolt on my hands because this is not ALWAYS true.<br><br>The problem--if a person receives a voice mail and forwards it to another person, it arives at the 2nd person's desk as a standard e-mail w/ WAV attachment. ViewMail will NOT recognize this as a voice message and will NOT play the attachment (over the phone). The person is stuck.<br><br>Need a workaround! (Dont' want to upgrade 100+ computers!)<br><br>

4 Replies 4

Not applicable

That shouldn’t be the case.

When you forward a voice mail message to someone, it should preserve the message class (IPM.NOTE.Voice.Unity). This is what Outlook triggers on to show the special voice icon and launch our form for that message. I just tried this to be sure on my 2.3.4.128 and 2.3.6.22 test boxes in my office and it’s preserved OK. The receiving box always gets it as a voice mail. I just tried this with some (now annoyed) coworkers and it works fine no matter how many times you forward it.

A possible scenario is someone that does not have VMO installed gets a voice mail which will show up as an email with attached WAV in your inbox but should still have the IPM.NOTE.Voice.Unity message class so it’ll show up as voice mail over the phone. If they forward this message from the desktop, Outlook will change the message class to IPM.NOTE (generic email) so the receiving person gets it as email even though they have VMO installed. Outlook does this since it’s generic email form doesn’t preserve the message class on forwards or replies… that’s why you need a custom form registered to handle this.

The easiest solution, then, is to get VMO installed on everyone’s box so this wouldn’t happen.

The only other reason this might be happening is if the person is forwarding the message through an SMTP gateway. In some cases the message class will not be preserved.

If you continue to have trouble, contact our support folks and they can walk through some stuff with you.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice Corp
jlindborg@activevoice.com

Not applicable

Yes, the vast majority of our staff do NOT have VMO--at $100/seat it was purchased only for the most savvy voice mail users. I don't think I'm going to convince anyone here to sign for an extra $20k to solve this problem!

Any other ideas? Perhaps an easy way to change the "message class" would keep everyone happy.

Not applicable

hmmmm...

unfortuantely, no. As long as they don't have a custom form registered to handle that message class (i.e. the VMO form) the standard Outlook mail form will open and when you forward the message it forces the message class to IPM.NOTE.

There's no easy way to change the message class on a message that I know of.

Other than having them forward voice mail over the telephone conversation or deploying VMO, I can't think of another solution to your problem.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice Corp

Not applicable

Oh, and by they way... Unity 2.4 (just released) has a different pricing structure that includes unlimited seats of VMO. You might look into upgrading.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice Corp