cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Phone Address Book Synchronizer - The user has not been validated

mlinsemier
Level 1
Level 1

I have seen a few other posts regarding the Tabsync applications but none that have a real clearcut answer to what the problem is.

In our organization we have Windows XP workstations running Office XP. In May we start our IP Telephony rollout corporate ride. Before this happens I would like to get the Phone Address Book Synchronizer working with Outlook XP.

When I attempt to setup the application, type in the username and password (which work for the IP Softphone so I know that this information is correct), I get the following error message:

Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 09:53:29

Reading Cisco CallManager LDAP user address book

The user has not been validated

I seem to have v1.0 of the product that is (c) 2001. I installed it from the Call Manager v3.2(2c) server running Service Pack G. Because we see using the feature corporate wide, I need to know if there is a way to get this to work. If necessary I will open a ticket with the TAC but I thought I would start here.

Thanks,

Matthew Linsemier

9 Replies 9

pmusugu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The first thing I would check is if you are able to ping call manager by name.

Also try changing the ldap url from name to ip add and see if that helps as we have seen issues with name resolution.

Go to Regedit on all the call managers, then search for LDAPURL. You should see the data value as ldap://:8404. Change the Call Manager name to IP Add.

You may also be running into CSCin20065 . Make sure you have proper permissions (read\write\modify) to C:\dcdsrvr\log and all its contents.

Enter the url " http:///ccmuser/ldapdetails.asp?userid=&password= from the web browser on the PC and let me know what you see.

You can encrypt your password using the passwordutils tool on your call manager.

If this does not work, then please open a TAC Case and we can take a further look at it.

Pradeep

I'm having the exact same problem.

I have verified Username/pin. Changed the Reg entry from ccmpub01 to it's ip for the key LDAPURL,

Gave "Everyone" group permissions of Full control (Temporarly) to the log directory in c:\dcdsrvr.

going to the url you specified (with username and the encrypted password), I get the following:

-

-

Failed to authenticate the User(error3)

I also went into the DC and force changed the User password for my test user to the password I'm using to get this to work. No Luck.

Yet, I can Login to ccmuser fine, I can edit, change, delete entries from the phone itself, but I can yet still get Tabsync to login successfully, It always gives the failed to authenticate user error.

Thanks in advance!

-jjf-

david.lawrence
Level 3
Level 3

Be aware that if your looking at syching up the outlook contacts used in MS Exchange that this is not supported via this software/cisco. The product only works when using MSOL in internet only mode, not corporate/workgroup. This is due to the fact it synchs with the windoes address book and not outlook contacts.

Might have to look at using something like IP Phone Productivity Services if you want the latter.

HTH

David

So basically what you are saying is that if you want to sync your Exchange contacts, you have to buy $20,000+ worth of hardware and software to do this when all you want is the simple funtionality of exporting the data? Are there any inexpensive third-party tools that do this. I am taking the walk before your run approach with our IP Telephony solution. I am not interested in depoloying personal assistant to get functionality that should be offered by Tabsync.

To make sure I am perfectly clear. If I have a Outlook XP client attached to a Exchange 2000 server where my contacts reside, this software will not work, correct?

Matt

Yes that is correct.

We logged a TAC case as we could only get this to work with OLE that uses WIndows Address Book. TAC stated that syching Outlook contacts connected to an Exchange system is not supported. MSOL is only supported in Internet only mode, not corporate/workgroup.

What we wanted was to synch our contacts with Personal Address Book on phone to dial the contacts. The way we have got round this is to install the JTAPI plugin on the client from CCM. Then configure JTAPI under Control Panel to use the ip phone and used the dial option in MSOL to call the contact. Need to make sure CTI is ticked for the user., and we stopped using PAB's on the phone.

This works, although its not an ideal solution. I agree with you that if Cisco provide software it should work with the product it is designed for (in all situations and not just one).

HTH

David

David,

Thanks for all your input on this. I have been pulling my hair out for some days trying to get this to work.

I will give the JTAPI configuration a try and see how this works, however I concur with you that this shouldn't be necessary. Maybe there is a third party application someplace that does what we are looking for. I will take a gander and post if I find anything.

Thanks again,

Matt

In My Last post, I meant to say use Cisco TSP and not JTAPI

David,

Looks like their is some confusion here. Cisco IP Phone Address Book Sync will Sync your Call Manager Personal Address Book with Windows Address Book on your PC.

Windows address book will directly sync with any contacts stored on the local PC. Outlook when running in Internet mode only or POP3 mode will store contacts locally but when running in Corporate/workgroup mode or IMAP store the contacts in Exchange Server.

As long as you are able to sync your contacts with Windows Address Book, we will be able to sync that with our Cisco PAB.

On the other hand, Matt is having a different Issue here. He is not even able to get pass the authentication.

About Installing JTAPI client on the PC:

I think you are talking about TAPI and not JTAPI. You can download the Cisco TAPI Client on the PC from Install Plugins page of the CCM Administration and configure it to talk to call manager. Then open outlook contact entry and right click to call that contact using the TAPI line.

Hope this helps.

Pradeep

Pradeep,

Your right, my mistake, it is actually the Cisco TSP (next one on the list under plugins) not JTAPI.

I agree that the Phone Book Synch will work with Windows Address Book (Outlook in internet only mode) but it does not work with Exchange contacts - these are stored on the exchange server and not in the windows address book. I was just pointing this out incase this was the requirement.

I would hate to see someone resolve an issue with the login, as per first post in the thread, to only find that they could not synch with Outlook Contacts.

To synch Outlook contacts with the windows address book is not something that end users would want to do, that is why they use the outlook contacts. These can be shared and kept uptodate easily with other users, unlike WAB. And as this is one of the features of Outlook, it is frustrating that it is not supported by Cisco.

Regards

David