Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco Employee

Phone Menu on Call IN / Call Out

Is there a "Service" That could be called that when the user picks up the phone and dials a number or when they recieve a call, it starts a service that Displays a menu on the users phone. Ie: Gives them an option to press (1) If this is a billable Client or press (2) if this a non-billable client. So that when they push for example option (1), it drops data into a seperate database of which phone and what time that the button was pressed so that a stored procedure can be called and yank the CDR data from Call manager to get the Call Duration, Number called, etc to be put into a billable time software.

Any Ideas anyone?

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Phone Menu on Call IN / Call Out

If you're looking to implement this, you can do this using TAPI/JTAPI to monitor the phones for events and respond to those events (such as by pushing an XML app to the phone).

Check out the TAPI/JTAPI specs, and check out some of the threads in this forum (such as the long-running "ANI" thread for some example code and ideas).

Cisco Employee

I was trying to figure a way to make this more "event" Driven. I understand the aspect of using jtapi to monitor the phones, but I was trying to figure out a way from having to poll 150+ phones and have the phone generate the event Which would cause an external application to run via a xml push or something from the phone.

I just need to know when the user picks up the hand set to answer a call or place a call. External App will monitor the CDR database from there on eliminating the need to actively poll the phones all the time.

Silver

Well, thats about as event-driven as you're going to get, unless some other facility exists within the CallManager environment to provide the functionality you seek.

However, I feel that TAPI/JTAPI is exactly what provides this functionality (including the ability to limit the events that you are notified about, decreasing processing overhead). Anything else would simply be duplicating an existing interface.

Therefore, to my knowledge, one way or another you're going to have to monitor the phones for the events you're interested in, and perform some action when that occurs (the very definition of event-driven).

Note that you're not "polling" the phones, you're waiting for the specified event messages to arrive, so that you can perform some action. And you're not polling the phones themselves, the interface is with CallManager (via TAPI/JTAPI).

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content