cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Phones receiving DHCP

ouhakheme
Level 3
Level 3

We recently had a problem where the phones had a problem receiving a DHCP address from the DC. We set up option 150 and the extra scope and the voice VLAN, but for whatever reason the phones would only get the VLAN ID, but refuse to get an IP address. Some phone get incorrect information, such as bad CM IP information. The only way to configure the phone was to give it a static address, default gateway, and TFTP server, and it would pull the new image down, reload, and register just fine. From there we can set it back to DHCP and the phone will be fine.

Any ideas as to what could have caused this. It happened to each phone (about 80).

Please let me know.

Ohamien

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jbouwkamp
Level 3
Level 3

I have ran into the same issue many times.

Cisco has a document that somewhat documents the issue:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a008055c1fe.shtml

I always set the voice vlan on the cat switches to be the same as the data vlan with option 150 in the data DCHP scope until all phones were upgraded then set the voice vlan back to what is should be.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

jbouwkamp
Level 3
Level 3

I have ran into the same issue many times.

Cisco has a document that somewhat documents the issue:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a008055c1fe.shtml

I always set the voice vlan on the cat switches to be the same as the data vlan with option 150 in the data DCHP scope until all phones were upgraded then set the voice vlan back to what is should be.

Thanks for the information, that will probably do the trick, but referring to the document, our phones never received an error, they just sit around looking for an IP address. Were you getting an error, or no?

Thanks,

Ohamien

No error showed here either but the document is about the closest thing I can find to the issue I was having.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: