cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Playback overdriving speaker?

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

When we playback a voice message on our 7960's it sounds like the playback is overdriving the phone (speaker or handset, both sound similar) and creates a vibrating type of sound. Does your WaveGain tool help with this issue? Is there something I am missing? Unity 2.4.5, CCM 3.05a.<br><br>Thanks,<br>Brad<br><br>

4 Replies 4

Not applicable

The bump in the record level is probably too high and it's clipping when you play it back...

yeah, the wavegain tool (not mine, by the way, I just stuck it on my site for easy access) should help you twiddle with the record/playback boost (seperate values) so this doesn't happen.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Not applicable

The Wavegain utility will probably not help you. The playback volume with Unity 2.4.5 TSP is already dropped 10 db by default. Dropping it more than 10 db will likely cause distortion.

You will probably want to adjust the default volume on the 7960. (Go offhook, adjust volume, hit "Settings", hit "Save".)

Was this an upgrade from Unity 2.4.0?

Aaron Belcher
Software Engineer
Active Voice
abelcher@activevoice.com

Not applicable

I just tried the wavegain tool and it seems to have helped. The settings were Record hex 5 and Playback hex fffffff6 (hmmm, perhaps a tad high?). I set Record to 3 and Playback to 0. We'll let it burn and see if users notice.

No upgrade, new install.

Thanks,
Brad

Not applicable

The playback volume of fffffff6 corresponds to -10 db. This lowers the volume of the prompts by 10 db. Setting the playback volume to 0 will make the audio 10 db louder than it was before.

I hope the changes help, but I think lowering the default volume on the 7960 is the best solution. Have you tried this? What affect did it have?

Aaron Belcher
Software Engineer
Active Voice
abelcher@activevoice.com