cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Playing AVI on Pocket PC

mperbix
Level 1
Level 1

I have a couple of users running pocket PC with 802.11 and uinsg Outlook for email. They are not able to play the attatched WAV file...Is there a way to play this file on Pocket PC, or is there a view mail utility for Windows CE? What are my options?

-Mike

12 Replies 12

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What codec are you recording message in with Unity? You can select a codec that all recordings use with the SetRecordFormat tool in the tools depot on the desktop. Most hand held devices can use GSM 610 which is usually a good choice. Just be aware that ALL recordings will be done using that codec so if you want to use G729a across your WAN you can't "mix and match" here.

ksilva
Level 1
Level 1

If you don't load ViewMail the g.729 codec doesn't get installed to your client. The drivers can be pulled off of your CD1. under I think tools..

So what we are saying here is that it is a WAVE fie with g.729 codec. I take it normal windows and media player can play the g.729 as the desktops do not have a problem (even without viewmail). Can viewmail be installed on Windows CE? Does it work with that version of Outlook, or can I load the g.729 codec on a Windows CE device manually as stated above..

-Mike

I don't want to step on whatever Jeff Linborg tells you. I will just tell you what I have done to troubleshoot this in I-PAQs. You are most likely storing at g.729 so to playback that message you need to understand and you are using something other than viewmail to play that back, you could try running this procedure on a you client station. My customer for this problem was a CE developer, and they got it to work.

This is from the TAC..

If an audio player other than ViewMail for Microsoft Outlook or DUCS for Cisco Unity is installed on subscriber workstations and messages are stored in G.729a format or OKI ADPCM format, install the G.729a or applicable OKI ADPCM codec on each workstation by doing the applicable procedure below

To install the G.729a codec for Cisco Unity on a subscriber workstation that does not have ViewMail for Microsoft Outlook or DUCS for Cisco Unity installed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 On Cisco Unity Disc 1, browse to the Utilities directory.

Step 2 Copy the Sl_G729a_setup.exe file to the directory of your choice on the network or to a disk. Administrators or subscribers can then install the codec from the network or from the disk:

a. Confirm that the subscriber workstation is using a Windows operating system and that a compatible audio player is installed.

b. Double-click Sl_G729a_setup.exe, and follow the on-screen prompts.

c. Restart the subscriber workstation for the codec change to take effect.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_technical_reference09186a00800875b7.html

Thank you, I will check that out, looks like it will do the jop...

-Mike

Good Luck..

okay, so pardon my ignorance now...the installer is not recgonized on CE so it will not let me install the codec...is this a direct copy of a file I can do, or am I missing somehing? How do I get this installed on a Pocket PC (there is network connectivity via 802.11)....btw, the link above does not work for me, it does not accept my cco credentials,,,,

Thank you.

Like I said before, the customer did some legwork on the CE platform to make this happen. I am 100% sure that the ViewMail or the Codec won't load onto a CE for Outlook, another route to go would be using the VMI on unity if you are licensed for it, I have never tried it from a CE device I am just thinking out loud.

Setting Up the Message-Retrieval Codec(s) for Cisco Unity

In a unified messaging environment, Cisco Unity subscribers can listen to voice messages either on the phone or by playing WAV files from their desktops.

Although different Cisco Unity servers may be configured with different recording and storage codecs to meet the needs of their sites, subscribers can listen to voice messages from any phone, regardless of the recording and storage codec in use. Depending on the configuration, Cisco Unity, the PSTN, the phone system, the gateway, the voice card, and/or the phone itself performs any transcoding that is needed.

To play WAV files stored in the supported codec formats, subscribers need a compatible audio player (one that uses Audio Compression Manager, such as ViewMail for Microsoft Outlook, DUCS for Cisco Unity, Sound Recorder, or Windows Media Player) installed on their workstations, and may need one or more codecs installed. In environments where messages may be forwarded to recipients outside of the organization, recipients' audio players must also be able to play messages recorded in each of the codec formats in use.

The default Cisco Unity audio players, ViewMail for Microsoft Outlook or DUCS for Cisco Unity, are compatible with all codecs fully supported for use with Cisco Unity.

If an audio player other than ViewMail for Microsoft Outlook or DUCS for Cisco Unity is installed on subscriber workstations and messages are stored in G.711 Mu-Law or A-Law format or in GSM 6.10 format, no action is required, as these codecs are installed by default with the operating system.

If an audio player other than ViewMail for Microsoft Outlook or DUCS for Cisco Unity is installed on subscriber workstations and messages are stored in G.729a format or OKI ADPCM format, install the G.729a or applicable OKI ADPCM codec on each workstation by doing the applicable procedure below.

If incoming VPIM messages are not converted, they may be stored in G.726, GSM 6.10, or G.711 format. The G.726 codec must be installed on all subscriber workstations in order to play G.726-format messages, regardless of the audio player installed.

If needed, multiple supported codecs may be installed on subscriber workstations.

To install the G.729a codec for Cisco Unity on a subscriber workstation that does not have ViewMail for Microsoft Outlook or DUCS for Cisco Unity installed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 On Cisco Unity Disc 1, browse to the Utilities directory.

Step 2 Copy the Sl_G729a_setup.exe file to the directory of your choice on the network or to a disk. Administrators or subscribers can then install the codec from the network or from the disk:

a. Confirm that the subscriber workstation is using a Windows operating system and that a compatible audio player is installed.

b. Double-click Sl_G729a_setup.exe, and follow the on-screen prompts.

c. Restart the subscriber workstation for the codec change to take effect.

To install an OKI ADPCM codec for Cisco Unity on a subscriber workstation that does not have ViewMail for Microsoft Outlook or DUCS for Cisco Unity installed

Step 1 Go to the Software Center website at http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/unity-util .

Step 2 Click CiscoUnityDialogicCodec.exe, and download the file to the directory of your choice on the network or to a disk. Administrators or subscribers can then install a codec from the network or from the disk:

b. Unzip the CiscoUnityDialogicCodec.exe file to the directory of your choice on the workstation.

c. Double-click Avvox_setup.exe, and follow the on-screen prompts.

d. Restart the subscriber workstation for the codec change to take effect.

To install the G.726 codec on a subscriber workstation

Step 1 Purchase license(s) from the vendor of your choice.

Step 2 Follow the vendor instructions for installing to the directory of your choice on the network or to a disk. Administrators or subscribers can then install the codec on their workstations from the network or from the disk.

Well... you _might_ be able to shoe-horn the G729a codec into a CE device but I've never seen this work myself. If it were me and you needed to get hand held devices working I'd stick with what I know works out of the box and that's switching to using the GSM 610 codec. I've had lots of folks use this with hand held devices without a problem and without having to jump through any hoops with codec installs.

Good Point Jeff, the situation I had this with before was bent on the GSM codec for some reason.

Does this switch mean I have to change any cutom voice prompts that I already have in the system, are there any ramifications to doing this like message space or such?

Thanks -Mike

no need to change the prompts or greetings - Unity will transcode on the fly no problem.

GSM 610 is going to create somewhat larger WAV files that G729a but still considerably smaller than G711 MuLaw - I thinkg 610 sounds better than G729a myself, however.

There's a small CPU hit for Unity to transcode but it's not really very significant even on larger port systems.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: