cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Polycom Video over ATM-FR network

jstrait
Level 1
Level 1

I have been looking over and reading a number of white papers and solutions. I have yet to really find what I am looking for. Here is the design goal.

We created a new ATM-Frame Relay network consisting of two PVC's to each location. 1-1028K PVC for normal data traffic and a 384K PVC for Video and voice (future, don't really need to worry about this right now) the Idea is that the polycom unit in each facility will use this 384K PVC for all traffic. The issue now stands at this and pardon my lack of knowledge on this.

What is the best method of routing, QOS, Tunneling under this design?

Thanks

JRS

2 Replies 2

jsayer
Level 1
Level 1

If you are using Polycom endpoints, their software will allow you to classify the traffic using IP Type of Service. Alternatively, you could use the Cisco MCM as a proxy to identify the video traffic and assign a TOS value to it. Either way, you will need something like the IP-to-ATM QoS mapping features in the Cisco IOS to allow the video traffic to take one PVC and other traffic to use the other. I haven't used these features, but the later releases of IOS code should support this on most platforms with high-speed ATM interfaces.

BTW, you may need to increase your video PVC bit-rate as H.323 384kbps calls use a little over 400kbps due to IP packet overhead.

Hope this helps,

John

I agree with John, that would be the way to go and video does take over 400K. Actually, if there is atm/frame conversion, the design guide sates you should allow for 20% overhead so that would be 460K.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: