cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Preventing receipt of broadcast messages

preston_cook
Level 1
Level 1

We're running Unity 3.1, Call Manager 3.2, with Exchange 5.5.

We have a voicemail user that doesn't want to receive any company-wide voicemails, only voicemail directed specifically to him.

If I uncheck his Subscriber > Profile "List in phone directory" box, will this do the trick? If not, how then?

5 Replies 5

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The list in directory flag is only for restricting if that user can be found in the name lookup handler (i.e. for outside calles trying to find subscribers by name because they don't know their extension number).

There's nothing that will stop messages that were addressed to distribution lists from getting to this user. I suppose your best option would be to make sure that user is not a member of any public distribution lists that are addressable over the phone. Not sure if this is a VM or UM install, however... if it's UM that will still leave the option of users addressing VM from the desktop to a DL this uers is a member of.

Understood about removing him from custom DLs. What about the system DL that maintains all subscribers? Is that editable?

Sure... it's not really a system DL - we create it at install time and by default all users imported/created as subscribers are added to it but you can edit it no problem... it's just like any other DL in the directory, nothing special.

You can also adjust which DLs users are added to when created by editing the subscriber templates in the SA if you want to (i.e. we aren't hard coded to stuff everyone in that DL).

You can also check out the Distribution List Builder tool for constructing DLs based on extension ranges, COS membership, CSV imports etc... it ships with Unity and can be found in the Tools Depot on the desktop.

Problem solved. Thanks.

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

No--that won't do the trick. That setting will prevent outside callers from finding users in the directory handlers. The users need to be removed as a member from the distribution list if they don't want to get the messages.

Thanks,

Keith

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: