Views
Helpful
Replies

PRI Caller ID - MGCP or H323?

pbrown
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a new PRI voice circuit. I'm very new to PRI and am still getting up to speed. I want to have full inbound and outbound caller id including both name and number. Does it matter whether I use MGCP or H323?

CCM = 3.3.3

switch type = DMS100

variance = NI2

Thanks,

Patrick

2 Replies 2

robrhodes
Level 3
Level 3

Either protocol should work for passing ANI. The choice of protocol really depends upon network design, other application requirements/functionality and personal preference.

You might want to read through the SRND:

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns268/c649/ccmigration_09186a008017bb4a.pdf

mcnerney
Level 4
Level 4

Patrick

Here is a note I wrote down from a post from another user that was made here about a month ago:

Called TAC and have verified that H.323 does not support caller name in the Facilities IE it only supports caller Name if it is delivered in the Display IE. If you have an MGCP Gateway and Call Manager 3.3.3 Caller name is supported in Facilities IE and it works.

That being said, I had both name and number working between our CCM and Nortel SL-100 (basic same software as a DMS-100) when we were on 3.1(3). We are now on 3.3(2). But it took lots of fiddling with both ends and on the early software I couldn't get it to work with the NI2 protocol as it would only support the name display in the Facilities IE.

To get name display I think you will need to use MGCP and the NI2 protocol should be fine.

As a side note, we do not have name display working between the SL-100 and the PSTN QWest DMS-100. We were told about a year ago that QWest could not pass name display between the DMS-100 and SL-100 (go figure). However, Qwest has upgraded their switches and now offer the service but only using the NI2 protocol. All of our PSTN PRI's are currently using the Nortel Custom protocol so we are in the process of getting a price quote for QWest to convert all of the PRI's to NI2 and turn on name display.

I would check with your service provider and find out what will be required to get name display. Just have them confirm that NI2 protocol will work.