cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Printing From A Phone

nathanreynolds
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone got any Ideas how to print directly from a 7940/60? I was wondering if the RS 232 port could be used for such a thing. If not mabey there is a way to print a page on a printer on a network. I have a service created that visitors to my company can log into and it logs their visit to a visitor database. I was wanting to put a name tag printer in the loop somewhere so that I could create nametags for them. Thanks

7 Replies 7

jbond_c24
Level 1
Level 1

Why not print from the database? The reason I say this is that the RS232 port would have to be plugged into a device server. You would then need to use the api for the device server in order to create an app to send the data to the printer.

Here's a link to lantronix. They have the hardware and the sdk.

jbond,

Thanks for the reply. Im not seeing your link to lantronix. I did, however browse to their site but I did'nt see the sdk. Are you saying that I could program the api on the print server to respond to print screen events from the phone? If so do you know where I might find resources on this topic. Again, Thank you.

Sorry, I left out the specifics for their sdk.

Their policy is that they only provide the sdk to customers. So you would need to first order the uds-100 device server then contact lantronix, sign a 2-way Non-disclosure agreement, and finally they will give you access to the sdk.

There is an alternative, In the latest IP Phone services SDK there is an example screenshot.asp. You should be able do a screenshot and send that to a network printer.

Hope this helps,

James

Thanks James for your help. I may have to look into the lantronix gear.

About the alternative you mentioned. I think you have a great idea there. I looked at the code for the screenshot example and that should work. My problem is that I do not know how to print anything from the phone. Im guessing it would have to be done server side but im not sure. I dont know of anyway to do this in javascript. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks

Why not just print from the server to a netowrk printer. There would be a button on the phone that says- "Print Tag" the information would be sent to the server with a post and the formatted and sent to the network printer. After all, it sounds like youare capturing the data anyway and I am sure there are already APIs for IIS to print.

Capturing a screenshot of the phone screen is somewhat limiting and unecessary IMHO, you don't need the extra steps.

The network printer could be positioned right next to the phone

Thanks for the reply gshonting. Im game for trying anything. Ill have to look into an api for printing from the server.

Hi, Thanks again for the help. I looked into using the isapi for printing from the webserver to a network printer based on an http get from a phone. The examples I found far exceed my knowledge of programming so Im still looking for a solution. Any more Ideas? Thanks alot.