cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem: no voicemail unless handset is picked up? Power problem?

sbammer
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer who has a CM installation with 7960 phones. He describes his problem as follows:

I have had problems with a couple phones not being able to retrieve voicemail unless the user first picks up the handset. As it turns out, the extra power draw from the speakerphone causes strange things to happen to the phone, including rebooting it. Adding a power injector solves the problem. I assume the switch is designed to handle the power requirements for 24 phones used simultaneously?

has anyone else out there experienced this? Did you engage Cisco, and if so, what did they say?

Thanks for any/all feedback

Steve

6 Replies 6

mimckee
Level 1
Level 1

I have not heard of a problem like that. It would be interesting to know what type of switch the customer is using for inline power. The version of callmanager and phone load would also be interesting.

Thank you,

-Mckee

The 3500 XL inline power is capable of powering all 24 ports simultaneously.

Possibly a hardware failure.

Also verify whether any Cisco Access Points are on this switch. They draw more power than a phone and therefore could cause an issue.

To isolate the issue further , does only the one phone reset or do all phones on the switch reset at the same time?

Is the power circuit for the switch of adequate amperage?

sbammer
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the info you are looking for:

switch: WS-C3524-PWR-XL-EN

Call Manager version: 3.2 (3.2.2 actually, I believe)

Phone Load: boot load pc03a300

app load p00303020100

Some more thoughts....

If the phone is drawing too much power you should be getting log messages on the switch like , "%PM-3-POWER_INLINE_BAD: FastEthernet0/21 is drawing too much power", in which case it would disrupt power to the port.

Not applicable

I had exactly the same problem about a month ago. I ended up replacing the 7960 phone with another one. That solved our problem.

anyone else out there have this problem before? Gonna enable logging on the switch to see if there are any errors like the one described above. Any other ideas?

thanks