Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Problem of distribution list?

Hi,

I can not delete the distribution lists on the saweb page since I delete the corresponding accounts in AD user and computer before. How can I delete the distribution list properly?

Can I use any tool to know the distribution list created on the admin page refers to the account in AD user and computer?

Thanks a lot.

Regards

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Problem of distribution list?

I'm not sure I understand your issue - you removed the distribtuion list in AD entirely but it shows up in the SA still? Could be related to a permissions issue where our directory facing account is not being notified of items that hit AD's "deleted items folder" (this is how we know when objects in the directory that we care about are removed).

When you say you can't remove it, what happens? Do you get an error when you try to delete it in the SA?

I'm not sure I understand your question - Unity doesn't create it's own Distribution Lists and then create corresponding ones in the directory - it uses the DLs right from the directory itself. Maybe you can clarify what you're looking for here.

Hi,

Maybe I should clarify what I am saying about since my question is not clear. I mean I can not delete All Subscribers, System Event Messages...etc thru the SA page. It returns an error "The page can not be found".

Are they related to the account in AD user and computer. Because each time I install/reinstall Unity (off-box DC, Exchange), some accounts (e.g. allsubscribers3ee6d52a....etc) will be created. Therefore, I can see more than one allsubsribers, System Event Messages...etc. I want to delete unnecessary distribution lists.

Thanks a lot

Regards

Cisco Employee

oh, I gotcha now.

Yeah, the Unity setup adds those distribution lists when you install - it tacks on that system ID number there on the end so it doesn't conflict with other DLs. When you uninstall Unity the uninstaller application lists which DLs you need to remove at the end - if you don't they'll collect in there.

The easiest way to make sure you have the right one is to change the display name in the SA for the ones you're using and then delete the others directly out of AD (i.e. the ones without the changed display name).

Thx

But now I can not delete the distribution lists thru' SA page since the distribution lists in AD is deleted at the beginning. What can I do?

Cisco Employee

then that goes back to my original comment - the directory facing account for Unity must not have proper rights to the directory's "deleted items folder" since we would have removed those references automatically when they were deleted in AD.

The only way to deal with it now is to remove them from SQL directly - in the UnityDB database under the DistributionList table you'll find all these guys and they can be removed.

Note, however, that the all subscribers distribution lists is references in a number of places in the database and if you've waxed it in the directory you've likely corrupted your database (this is why the delte option in the SA is disabled for that guy). You'll want to run dbWalker and carefully find all references to it that are broken and replace them with appropriate links. However, there's one thing you can't just fix up here- when Unity can't deliver a message for whatever reason (full mailbox, exchange server down etc...) for an outside caller it forwards the message to the unaddressed messages distribution list. Since you've deleted it in the directory manually we have no where to send this message. The short story is it's really not a good idea to blow that distribution list away after installing.

Views
Helpful
Replies