Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem of phones registration!

Hi all,

Config: CCM 3.3(3)sr3, Phone firmware ver. 5.0(3), Phones connected to 2950G switch

When I changed some phones' voice vlan for management purpose. Some phones took very long time (more than one day) to re-register to call manager but stayed at the stage of "Configuring IP". No operational vlan id displayed on Phone Network Config. The phone mac address appeared on the data vlan mac address table but not voice vlan.

If I manually rebooted the phone (using **#**), it can register to ccm very fast (less than 2 mins).

Please give some adivce!

Thanks

5 REPLIES

Re: Problem of phones registration!

the real question is what exactly did you change on the phones voice vlan? Even a 2 mimute registration is a little on the slow side.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Let me clarify the issue. If I move a large group of IP phones (more than 100 phones) from one vlan to another, many phones need to take a long time (more than one day) to re-register to call manager if I don't reboot the phones manually. (Supposed that the phone registration is "automatic"!)

Any idea?

Thanks

Just a stab in the dark...you said you moved more than 100 phones to a new VLAN...HMMM, and I am assuming you did this on the switch side of things, again assuming all of the LAN/WAN is configured correctly (ping the CCM from the switch in question and a LAN connection too also ping from the CCM to the switch). You would indeed need to reboot the phones to correct the VLAN changes to the network. If you reboot the switch (after hours of course) the phones will reboot and come back with the new changes.

A rule of thumb for me is to test changes like this long before a 100+ phone problem....

Good luck...

Rob

Silver

When you change the VLAN, the IP Addressing also changes. The phones would need to get an IP Address and other properties related to the new VLAN, to be able to talk to the Callmanager.

By default, the phones will wait for the timeouts based on the DHCP lease period before they would try to reach the DHCP server. But after you reboot the phones, they will broadcast a DHCP request and will get the new IP Address from the DHCP server and will be able to register will Callmanager.

Hi,

Thanks green-robert and anup.anand. Your replies are very helpful.

Switch may not be easy to be rebooted since other devices may be connected to the same switch.

My concern is how to shorten the time for phone re-registration? By reducing the DHCP lease period (e.g. 1 mins) or rebooting the switch?

Any idea?

Thanks again

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content