Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Problem upgrading and event log errors

We had a problem upgrading from Unity 2.4.105 > 2.4.120. The upgrade process completed normally, but seemed to completely trash the exchange server local to the Unity box. I couldn't even open up the exchange administrator after this. <br><br>Also, if you look in the event log we see failure audit errors event id 1023 category logons.<br><br>The error reads:<br>XXXXX\Exchange was validated as /o=XXXX/ou=YYYY/cn=Recipients/cn=Unity_XXXXX but was unable to log on to /o=XXXX/ou=YYYY/cn=Recipients/cn=XXXX/cn=123456<br><br>I talked to tech support and they said this is normal. Is there anything in the works for a future release of Unity to fix this?<br><br>

1 REPLY
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Problem upgrading and event log errors

I’m having an extremely difficult time believing our upgrade could have been responsible for “trashing” your Exchange server. The upgrade process has had other problems along the way, but nothing that would harm the local Exchange server in any way. The upgrade between 105 and 120 doesn’t even have to upgrade the directory at all… as opposed to, say, an upgrade from 2.3.4 to 2.4.0 where we have to walk the directory and add new collections (for instance the new notification devices added between those releases).

There’s nothing our upgrade process would be doing that could hurt Exchange. I’ve never got a report before this that anyone had any trouble with Unity damaging their local Exchange server. There’s no “fix in the works” for this since I don’t think we have a problem.

What’s the error you get when you try to open the administrator? Did someone in support really tell you this was “normal” or were they just talking about that event log error? Is this part of a larger Exchange site or is it a stand alone POV install (based on the event log error I’m assuming there’s at least one other Exchange server in the site)? Any chance the Exchange admin account was toasted somewhere along the way? I’ve seen that before at another site… they also pointed the finger at Unity, however the logs revealed another admin accidentally deleted that account. It happens.

Is Unity running?

The event log you mention looks to be normal. When Unity is in one Domain and a subscriber is in that Exchange site but a member of a different domain, you’ll see that error in the event log. We log into each box to monitor its inbox activity (for lamps, notification events and the like). Each one of these logins will result in an entry in the log. There’s nothing we can do to prevent it, however it’s not a problem. If everyone is in the same domain, something else is going on along those lines.

I’m very curious to know more about why you think we trashed your Exchange server and what’s happening when you try to open the administrator.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content