cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with deleted mailbox

lsimanek
Level 1
Level 1

I had set up and deleted user with extention 35573, but now I want to setup another person it says the extention 35573 is attached to call handler:cht_teacher. And if I try to access the voicemail box it logs into the example administrator. In Unity it show example administrator is 99999. Should I delete the example administrator?<br><br><br><br>

17 Replies 17

Not applicable

No, the problem is not with the Example Administrator, the problem is the subscriber template has somehow gotten an extension assigned to it (which should never happen). I'd reccomend deleting the template "Teacher" (any call handler with a CHT_ in front of it is a template) and seeing if that clears the problem.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Thanks, it worked

Not applicable

I've got a similar problem . . .

Running:
W2K SP1
Exchange 5.5 SP4
CM v3.09
UM v2.4.6.126

Initially, I clicked on the "+", added "User A" as a user with extension 6130. Unity processed the request, but returned an error in the “processing” browser window. I deleted the "User A" account, then tried to add via "+", then selecting the Exchange account and received "Extension 6130 already in use by Call Handler: ch_defaulttemplate. Please enter a unique extension."

Next, I went into Subscibers, Subscriber Template, Call Transfer and noticed that the second radio button (which is not currently selected) reads "Yes, ring subscriber's extension: 6130".

Any ideas on how this happened and how to fix it?

Not applicable

Now I'm really at a stopping point . . . I am implementing phones at a location and can't add users.

Since the last post, I have tried to add x6136 and x6133. I added each corresponding phantom phone and tested via the Messages button (CF set to x5000 - this worked correctly because I received the "Unity Messaging" recording). However, each time I added the users and corresponding extensions (for their phantom phones) to UM, I got the message "Sorry, Example Administrator is busy or does not answer . . . ". I checked the Call Transfer options and it makes no difference as to what they are set to, it always goes to Example Administrator.

I have been working on this and was hoping to get this site up today (for extension to extension dialing, plus all voice mail).

What is going on?

If you are in a jam, you probably need to get TAC to look into your box really soon. Have you raised this with them?

How about the templates. The original problem that started this thread seemed to have got resolved by checking the subscriber templates, ones that have CHT a a prefix? Have you checked your templates to see if they are clean?

Not applicable

Is there somewhere to look at the templates to see if they are "clean" other than from within the UM System Administrator? Is there a way to directly check field values?

I have a work-around at this point and it seems to be working. However, x6133 is still assigned to the Default Template. How can I reset this? What should it be set to?

Not applicable

I think I found our answer . . . This may be built-in feature of templates, I don't know . . .

I set the Call Transfer option for the Template to "No (send directly to subscriber's greeting)" and have been adding users successfully. However, as I add users the "Call Transfer" field beside the "Yes, ring subscriber's extension:" changes to match the extension of the last UM user that I added. I just added x6137 and that is what that field shows as the template value.

It appears that each time I add a subscriber, that field takes on the value of the last extension added, which creates a problem if you have "Yes, ring subscriber's extension:" selected in the template . . . because it is trying to add the extension to 2 different users . . . the one you are adding AND the Default Template.

Does any of this sound remotely possible?

Not applicable

Me again.

Still having trouble because my "Default Template" still is assigned to x6133. For now (and because I'm not sure why this is happening), I will set the Call Transfer value to "No" and run this way for awhile.

In the mean time, how do I clear that value out of the Default Template or is it safe to delete the Default Template and re-create it?

Not applicable

Hmmmm.... reading through this thread I'm not entirely sure what's happehing but it's apparent there are still some problems under the covers dealing with the primary call handlers associated with subscriber templates (the guys with the CHT_ prefix on their aliases in the call handlers collection).

There is a property on the primary call handler called AVP_DTMF_ACCESS_ID and for subscribers it's required, but for subscriber templates it should always be blank. We had some bugs in late releases of 2.4.5 where this value was getting populated sometimes if a subscriber creation call failed for some reason (i.e. the default NT password set for the new user was not long enough for the site's NT password policy). The creation failure cleanup was not doing it's job and it ended up leaving a value in this property which fouled things up pretty bad. We'd usually end up reconstructing the default templates using ConfigMgr.exe, but that's a little ham-handed since it also waxes the opening greeting, operator box etc... and puts them back to defaults which can be very annoying.

You can open DOHPropTest.exe in read only mode by not providing a password and go check the call handlers collection, go to the alias for the default subscriber template (ch_defaulttemplate) and check that property... if it's not empty let me know.

The contact rules collection (the transfer number) might be related to the bug, but I don't know how. That'd be a new twist, but it's possible. Let me spend an hour or so plinking on an updated version of dbWalker that makes specific checks on the call handler templates collection for these itemse and kicks out information on them. This has come up a few times in the past several weeks, we may have a problem here. I'll include an option to clean it up automatically as a checkbox. I'll post a follow up out here when it's available on my web site. In the meantime if you could check that property, that will be helpful.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

Unfortunately, you are right on. The value of AVP_DTMF_ACCESS_ID is "6133".

The interesting thing is though . . . x6130 was the first extension I had trouble with, then it was x6136, then it became x6133. Somewhere along the line, the Default Template kept taking on a new value.

Hope this helps and keep me posted,
David

Not applicable

Ok… I’ve just updated my web page with a new version of dbWalker (2.1.105). Among other things I’ve been working on for a few days, I included some additional checks specific to subscriber templates:

1. It checks to be sure the AVP_DTMF_ACCESS_ID value is blank for the primary call handler associated with the tempalte. If it’s not an error will be logged and the value will be cleared automatically.

2. It checks all contact rules (transfer settings) for the template and if any of them include a specific extension number, a warning is logged. Technically it’s legal to setup a template to force transfers for subscribers created with that template to a specific transfer number, but it’s very unusual and should only be rarely used. When you select the “yes, transfer to subscribers’ extension” radio button, the AVP_ACTION value is set to 1 and the extension value is set to blank for the contact rule which forces the SA to populate the extension number of the subscriber being created with the template as the transfer number… this is the normal case.

Other checks made by dbWalker already will catch other potential problems with the templates we’ve seen in the past. Specifically if a primary call handler is “shared” by a template and a user, an error will be logged. We had this problem back in 2.4.5 and it caused weird things to happen such as every time you created a new subscriber the template would get associated with that user’s extension number… very weird looking. It’ll also catch it if more than one subscriber is pointing to the same primary call handler which was another problem in early 2.4.5 builds.

I tried reproducing your issue by fiddling with the transfer values and the like on the templates and even forcing illegal settings in using DPT but I couldn’t. If you can download the latest version of dbWalker, run it and take a look at the output log for errors and warnings, it might help me figure out what’s going on with your box. Be sure to read the entire error or warning message (some are several lines long) to get a full picture of the problem encountered and what to do about it. The template checks happen at the very end of the log...

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

The link "http://www.answermonkey.net/App_DirectoryWalker.htm" indicates this utility works with UM "2.4.6 build 102, 135". I am running 2.4.6 build 126. Do I need to upgrade UM before running this utility?

Not applicable

no, those are just the versions I've specifically tested with (i.e. the versions I have installed at home). It'll work fine, there have been no database structure changes in the 2.4.x line since the first version of 2.4.6 was released so all builds will work OK.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

Utility did wonders. The template part of the log reads:
==========
*** Starting subscriber temlate walk ***

Alias=defaulttemplate
Display Name={Default Subscriber} Template
(error) Subscriber template is assigned an extension number:6133
Removing extension value.
Contact rule alias:Standard
Contact rule alias:Off Hours
Contact rule alias:Alternate
*** finished handler walk
Database walk complete at:9/5/2001 3:15:54 PM
==========

I added the user into Unity at x6133 and it works like a chimp . . . I mean champ, thanks to the Answer Monkey.

I am ready to go on the next issue.

Thanks for the fix,
David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: