Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

problems after fresh install

Hello,<br>after i do a fresh install and add my first subscriber i lose all functionality of unity pretyt much when i user call the voice mail extension from a subscriber phone or not they hear,<br>"this system is not avalible at this time please try at another time"<br><br>when when i try and login to administer the system i get an error saying the th euser i'm logging in as is not a subscriber even tho i just added them as a subscriber. <br><br>this does start to show up till a few mins after i add the subscriber. it will work fine for a while then just stop. any ideas before i go and waste a while on hold with the TAC?<br><br>---<br>Ben Mason<br>Netarx, Inc<br>Phone: (248) 647-9800<br>Fax: (248) 647-9840<br>Email: bmason@netarx.com<br>

5 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: problems after fresh install

Any chance the user you're adding is a standing Exchange user that's hidden in the Outlook address book? If so, it's possible Unity isn't configured to handle hidden users/DLs (if this is a system upgraded to 2.4.6 that's probable). This would result in the behavior you're seeing since the user added would be in the in-memory cache for about 10 minutes and then after the cache resync it'd drop out since the monitor would not see the user in the Exchange directory.

If that sounds like what you have going on, here's a post on how to set the registry to allow hidden subscribers and/or distribution lists:

http://avforums.isomedia.com/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=unityent&Number=2203&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=IncludeHiddenObjects&Match=Entire Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=2169

You can also use the SetRegistryValues tool on my web page if you'd rather have it done automatically.

If that doesn't sound like what you have going on, can you look in the Application Event log for the error(s) that kick in when you call in over the phone and get the fail-safe message you described? That might shed some light on what's going on.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Anonymous
N/A

this was a fresh install of 2.4.6. FYI we are using exchange 55. i see no relavent messages in the application log from when i make a phone call in but when i try and use the web interface i get,

Event Type: Error
Event Source: AvCsServices_MC
Event Category: Error
Event ID: 1097
Date: 10/29/2001
Time: 8:16:49 PM
User: N/A
Computer: BMEUMS101SFD
Description:
Gateway: GatherUserRights failed (hr=[0x8004200C]) while getting the COS for the mailuser with alias [adm_bmason].

---
Ben Mason
Netarx, Inc
Phone: (248) 647-9800
Fax: (248) 647-9840
Email: bmason@netarx.com

Anonymous
N/A

But is the user being imported from an Exchange account? Is it hidden in the address book?

There is always at least one error in the application event log whenever you hear the fail safe conversation (i.e. "I'm sorry, I can't talk to you now...") or when you can get at the user's mail store.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

okay i checked again today and the event i get in the event log is ,
Event Type: Error
Event Source: AvArbiter_MC
Event Category: Run
Event ID: 1018
Date: 10/30/2001
Time: 9:15:11 AM
User: N/A
Computer: BMEUMS101SFD
Description:
[Port 1] Failed attempting to load database object for application [PHTransfer], specified in routing table rule [3].

Anonymous
N/A

That falls in line with what I'm suspecting is the problem... your description of the user being around for a little while and then going away can only be caused by a few things I've seen in the field. By far and away the most common of these is the user is hidden from the address book in Exchange and Unity is not configured to check for hidden user... the object is in the memory cache for about 10 minutes and then drops out after the first cache resync fails to see the object in the directory.

the only other thing I've seen cause this is someone managed to hack their Exchange scheme in 5.5 (yes, this can be done, but you have to work at it) and it caused all call handlers to not save values in certain fields, most notably changes to the business phone field. When we added the handler (or a subscriber's primary call handler) it was in the cache for 10 minutes and then on the resync the fields we wrote data two were blanked out on us and the object fell out of the cache and the user/handler dissapeared.

The second scenario seems pretty remote, I've only seen this once. I've seen the hidden user thing many times.

If the user in question is hidden, plean unhide it, reimport it as a user and see if the problem persists. This'll only take a few minutes. If the problem goes away we know what we're dealing with. If not, we'll have to get into your system and start digging around to see what information is getting stepped on underneath us that's causing the syncer to not see this object or not like what it sees when it finds it.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Views
Helpful
Replies