I am trying to import an Exchange 2000 user into Unity as a regular subscriber. When using the GSM utility it reports that the users was successfully imported. However the user does not then show up in the list of subscribers. Though the SA web page he is listed when a search of the subscribers is done. However when I take the link from the search box I am brought to the Example Administrators SA web page. When trying to import the user from the SA web interface I get an error Unreconized Error: 0x8007005. The new subscriber was not successfully added.
Unity 4.0.2, Exchange 2000 SP3, MSDE SP3 for the datastore.
The most common issue along these lines is rights on the object/container the user is in. The first step to running it down is to grab a copy of the Directory Access Diagnostics tool here:
Run it against the user you are trying to import and see if it finds anything it doesn't like there.
I ran the utility and found that we did not have write access for this particular user. This has been fixed. Now the question is how do I re-import the user.
is the user not offered for import from AD any longer? If so, you'll need to "clean" the unity properties off them to be able to reimport - this can be done in the GSM as well.
The user is available for import through both the GSM and the SA web. Though the user shows as a subscriber in the Sa web interface, they show up but when I try to take the link to the SA web page for them it just returns a different subscriber, they are still available in the import list.
Through the GSM there is no option to remove subscriber attributes from this user.
OK, sounds liek the aborted import added the user information (at least partially) to the SQL database and didn't clean up after it self (bad programmer, no bagle).
The easiest way to do this is to open up SQL Enterprise Manager, go to UnitydB and open the Subscriber table - search for the user's alias and delete the row (be sure to get the right one!). Triggers should clean up any related entries in other tables and then it wont show up in the SA any longer.
you should then be able to import them properly.
If you don't have SQL Enterprise manager on there you can use CUDLE (the data link explorer tool found in the tools depot under the diagnostic tools) and use the query builder in there to do it old school. You'd use "DELETE FROM Subscriber WHERE Alias='blah'" where 'blah' is the alias of the subscriber you want to delete.
If this user was partially imported via the GSM then subsequent imports are probably failing with an error in the log (\Commserver\Utilities\GlobalSubscriberManager\Logs\UnityAdImportControl_[DateTime].log) about Specified Alias already exists. If that is the case then you will have to use Query Analyzer to manually delete this "partial" subscriber. Open Query Analyser, open the UnityDB database, open the Subscriber Table, select the row with the "partial" subscriber , right-click in that row and select Delete.
We have removed the entry from SQL. Now the user does not show in the SA web anymore. However I am still getting an error message when trying to import him through the SA Web page. Through the GSM it appears to work but does not.
The best I can suggest with what I know here is that there's still some problem writing/updating one or more properties there (I assume you've extended the schema and the properties we expect are all there). You can go through the help file for the permissions wizard that ships with 4.0(3) (it has a very detailed list of rights we absolutely need for importing vs. creating new users) here:
you can walk through those and make sure that user has them - DAD should catch items like that but just in case there's something getting under the radar it's worth looking at.
Well I got it. Turns out the user had de-selected the Allow inheritable permissions check box. After re-enabling this I was albo to import the user into Unity. Thanks for all the help.