Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Problems with NIC Broadcom NetXtreme Cisco MCS 7815I-2000

I have two new MCS 7815I-2000, one for a Callmanager and the other for a Unity server. The two of them give me problems related with the Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Adapter installing the OS.

The CallManager is installed with OS version 2000.2.4 and after all the process of installing first the CD "Cisco IP Telephony Server Operating System Hardware Detection Disk" and then "Cisco IP Telephony Server Operating System Installation and Recovery Disk" after the last reboot, The Broadcom NIC Doesn't have the IP config I filled previously, besides the adapter is named in the W2k sistem as

"Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet #2" wich as far as I know means that there is another NIC in the System with the same driver. I look in the windows register and there is two adapters Broadcom even when there is only one Local Area Connection in the devices of the server. I tried to reconfigure the IP config and when I say OK the system answers "there is another adapter in the system with the same IP address" I reboot the server and everything worked OK and my IP config appears correctly.

The Unity I installed "Cisco Unity Platform Configuration disc" for the same Server (MCS-7815I-2.0-ECS1) and a similar problem appear, after the last reboot when the OS came up the IP config of the adapter was empty, I tried to change the IP address and the system doesn't permit it. I reboot the system and the adapter initialize with a IP address 169.x.x.x, I could see in the event viewer of the w2k a message saying something about DHCP given address (I suppose itself), then I changed the IP config to the one I desire for the server and everything seems OK, I rebooted the system and I get a windows eventID: 4191

Source: TCP/IP

"Description: IP could not open the registry key for adapter TCPIP\Parameters\Adapters\NDISWANIP. Interfaces on this adapter will not be initialized."

I look in Microsoft website and I found:

CAUSE

This behavior can occur when a registry key required for the TCP/IP configuration is missing.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this behavior, remove and then reinstall the TCP/IP protocol.

I did it, and after an error and when I removed the protocol everything came up OK.

In this case the adapter has the name "Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet #3" and obviously I can see in the W2k register three Broadcom Network Adapters.

Resumming, I would want to know if anybody faces similar problems with MCS-7815I and althought everything seems to go OK, if this could cause some problem to the servers in the future.

Regards.

8 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Problems with NIC Broadcom NetXtreme Cisco MCS 7815I-2000

Bronze

That is an internal web site.

The problem mentioned in the field notice is CSCeb52578, basically IBM started shipping a diffrent NIC in the 7815 without telling us.

Workaround:

Re-install the OS selecting DHCP and then manually set the IP address.

Steps to re-install the OS:

1. Boot the server with the OS Installation Hardware Detection CD.

2. Select "New Installation or Server Replacement"

3. Continue through the installation process. Ensure that the DHCP option is enabled for the IP address and DNS/WINS settings.

4. Once the OS Installation process finishes, manually set the IP address and DNS/WINS information.

Steps to manually set the IP information:

1. Right click "My Network Places"

2. Click "Properties"

3. Right click "Local Area Connection"

4. Click "Properties"

5. Double click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

6. Enter the IP address and DNS information

7. Use the Advanced button to access the fields to set the DNS suffix or WINS information

8. Click "OK" to close all the windows.

9. If prompted, click "Yes" to the message "This connection has an empty primary WINS address. Do you want to continue"

Cisco Employee

dugrant is correct...sorry about the internal site, did not notice that until now.

Follow the procedure he posted and you should be good.

Summary: This is a known and documented issue...you are not alone here.

Thanks,

I had tried befor posting this, to search in the bug navigator but I didn't found anything searching by MCS in the Callmanager.

Anyway, I have not installed yet the Callmanager, only the OS, and have changed the IP configuration which is working now, I would want to know if I can go on, in a safe way with the installation or I must reinstall. Because I suppose that with the workaround the "Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet #2" is going to remain.

Regards.

Bronze

You should follow the workaround and reinstall because the configuration for the first NIC is still being stored by the system, and you will have problems with CM binding to the right NIC.

I have reinstalled the Unity following the workaround and the result is the same:

I get a windows eventID: 4191

Source: TCP/IP

"Description: IP could not open the registry key for adapter TCPIP\Parameters\Adapters\NDISWANIP. Interfaces on this adapter will not be initialized."

Can I have some information about this bug, do you know when is going to be solved and HOW?

Cisco Employee

Looks like CSCeb52578 was filed against callmanager, Unity has it's own version of this bug, CSCec34450.

Here is the release note:

Problem:

After the Platform Configuration Disks image the box and it reboots, the

Windows

installer takes over. It never prompts to set the ip address. When the box

boots

after installation is finished, the ip address comes up as 169.x.x.x. The ip

address can be set manually in the TCP/IP properties, and it sticks, but every

time the TCP/IP properties are accessed, it says the system is configured for

DHCP.

This is very similar to CSCeb52578 for Call Manager on the MCS-7815i. The bug

ID for Call Manager does not apply to Unity server.

Workaround:

If the MCS-7815I is not a domain controller, then you can update the NIC

driver per the following instructions. Otherwise please open a TAC case for

assistance.

Download the Broadcom driver per URL -

http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-52785

1. Open the NIC properties and remove all of the entries tcp/ip, windows

networking, etc.

2. Open the hardware manager and remove the NIC entry from the hardware

manager.

3. Re-booted and when the machine comes back up it will find the NIC and re-

install it.

4. Go thru hardware manager and updated its driver to the latest version from

the IBM web site.

5. After updating the driver, add back in the services & protocols for the NIC

and re-assigned it a static IP.

6. Reboot the machine now and verify IP assigned before the reboot.

OR

Re-install the OS using a regular Windows 2000 Server CD. Select DHCP during

the network setup. After the system boots for the first time after

installation, then manually set the ip address. If this is going to be a

domain controller, update the NIC driver before running DCPROMO.

If you want to be really sure about this, call TAC and reference this thread.

To save you some time on a reinstall, you can remove the bindings for the older existing network cards by setting a Microsoft internal Windows 2000 environment variable which will show ALL cards installed (but not necessarily active) and let you remove them by hand.

I use this functionality quite regularly when troubleshooting network interfaces (and cheesy software firewalls) on customer servers.

Here's a run down:

1. Go to System Control Panel.

2. Click Advanced tab.

3. Click Environment Variables

4. Create a new System Variable.

5. Name is "devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices"

6. Value is 1

7. Click OK. Go to Hardware->Device Manager

8. Click View menu, Show hidden devices.

9. Open "Network adapters"

10. Right click and remove extra adapters as appropriate. Reboot.

Hope this helps. Beats reimaging, and it keeps your registry clean too.

Pat

Views
Helpful
Replies