Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Prompt set recorded in G729a now available

Hey gang... George and our sound technician contractor slaved away and generated an entire set of Unity system prompts encoded in G729a format! This is very cool... for sites using G729a this will make the prompts sound much nicer than transcoding them on the fly from 711 all the time. This set is also done with the lower dB level (same level as the 711 quiet prompt set). Listening to them side by side with nice speakers the 729a prompts sound a little flatter but over the phone I have a hard time telling the difference.<br><br>If you have sites that are running pure 729a, you'll definitely want to download this and load them up. It's only a little bigger than 7 meg (as opposed to 34 meg for the 711 quiet set). Just download the self extracting EXE and run the snappy little "PromptInstaller.exe". It will auto detect your Unity installation directory and write over all your existing prompts except for the music on hold prompts (they sounded real bad converted so we left them alone).<br><br>You find them at:<br><br>http://www-vdtl.cisco.com/rtp-evoice/unitysw.htm<br><br>This site is internal to CCO. If you don't have access to that you'll need to contact your Cisco rep to get hold of them.<br><br><br>Jeff Lindborg<br>Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey<br>Cisco Systems<br>lindborg@cisco.com<br><A HREF="http://www.AnswerMonkey.net" target="_new">http://www.AnswerMonkey.net</A> (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

2 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Prompt set recorded in G729a now available

I am supporting multiple sites from a single CallManager/Unity installation over WAN links. I am using both G.711 and G.729, G.729 in remote sites and G.711 at the core site. The design is working great! (except for the TTS playback to G.729 phones)

I would like to take advantage of the G.729 call handler for my remote sites. If I apply the new G.729 call handlers on my system what will be the impact for my G.711 users? Will the G.711 Call Handler be over writen or is this just a addition?

What is the fall back if I want to revert to the present Call Handler?

Thanks,

Anonymous
N/A

Re: Prompt set recorded in G729a now available

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by G711/G729 "call handlers"... the prompt set is the entire collection of prompts used to make up the conversation over the phone. That includes call handlers, inteview handlers, subscriber conversations etc...

If you're in a mixed environment, the 711 callers will still hear prompts fine but they will be transcoded into 711 on the fly which will degrade the sound quality a little. This is the same thing the 729 folks hear today with the default 711 prompts being transcoded into 729a on the fly. It's not a huge problem but be aware you do lose a little sound quality whenever your converting like that. Generally going from a more compressed to a less compressed codec (i.e. 729a prompts going to 711 streams) is better than a less compressed coded going to a more compressed codec (i.e. 711 prompts going to 729a streams).

You can always apply the 711 prompts back no problem. You can either apply the quiet 711 prompts on the same site you got the 729a quiet prompts (this is what I would reccomend if you want to go back) or you can copy the default volume 711 prompts off the installation cds for Unity 2.4.6. These are going to be around 20 dB louder than the default recording for most of your IP devices, however... that's why we put the quiet prompts out there in the first place.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies