cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

* Protecting outgoing calls with a PIN number 7940

markx
Level 1
Level 1

I have a few meeting rooms with 7940's in them, and have been noticing that people are abusing the phones. How can I implement a method to lock the phones, only to be used once a valid PIN (or any similar method for authentication) has been entered.

Thank you

17 Replies 17

marinaibm
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

If you set up an access code users still can see it in the "placed calls" , I would consider using extension mobility so user needs to login in order to get the full access .

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00800c4cbe.html

My Call Manager-ology is a little rusty but I think you can use partitions and calling search spaces to restric long -distance calls to certain phones. Theses certain phones could dial out but not make LD calls. This is assuming that by "abusing" you meant placing long distance calls. If you meant just using the phones then let me know where you work cuz' I don't ever wanna work there! :O Extension mobility is a good way to go as well but be prepared for a little extra admin overhead when it meeses up.

Unfortunately these phones are placed in a public area with good intent for people to use them as required (for business use), so I was hoping on having a PIN code for the phones so invited guests could receive this code to make calls as needed. The calling search space for these phones allows full access, I just want to stop the average person (or cleaning staff) from using the phone when they need to make a call.

So it looks like I need to use Extension mobility - or is there actually a built in PIN code device to unlock the phone before use?

Much thanks for the input so far

Again, I am a lil rusty so bear with me. I am almost positive that you can leave the phones as is but have CM specify that when a LD call is made that the users PIN has to be entered and therefore logged as well. I'ma tool around CCO and see if I can find the link but I am 90% sure it can be done. Would that work for you? Any body else out there that knows this feature chime in.

Travis,

there is no facility in call manager at present to 'lock' a phone. The only way to achieve this is with extension mobility which doesn't so much lock the phone as change it's identity completely.

Paul

hey, theres a great Idea! Device Pool Schedule for Calling Search Space, 8-5 call anywhere, 5pm-8am restricted calling on phones.

Looks like a good enhancement request for CallManager SeaView!

Hi,

I dont think you can find a ready application requesting pin code for placing the calls. Probably you can write one but it will take time (and money if you cant do it on your own).

I can suggest you 2 ways

1.Extension Mobility

You can allow it only on your phones in meeting rooms and create users/one user (and allow multiple logins) for this phones .The only problem i can see is how you force them to logout. You can set the maximum login time to 10-15 minutes though..

2.Access codes

You can place your ip phones in the meeting rooms in a separate partition .

Add route patterns for this partition with an access code (say 1234+original route pattern).The only problem you face is the user can see the dialed number in placed calls but you can go to the phone configuration page and point all these phones directories URL to a different script which won't contain "placed calls" option at all (you need just to copy the original file and remove placed calls option).

s-pinto
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Convex as deveploped an aplicattion, wich among other things, blocks the phone with a pin code (the same you set on users page), blocks all the phone on a scheduled hour, alows on disalows types of calls (nacional, international,etc).

If you are interested in more details please let me know.

Regards,

Sergio

youngrv
Level 1
Level 1

We have implemented a PIN solution just as you have described and it is working perfectly. Just read up on Cisco's prepaid solution using TCL/IVR scripts and everything should be there. Given that you already have an exiting IPTel environment, there should be no additional purchases required. Email me offline if you wish to discuss particular details.

I would like for you to post some more infor here. I thought from my reading that the tcl/ivr only worked going from the tdm to ip call, not ip to tdm. I had the same idea of using tcp/ivr until I did my reading and saw that it did not work like i thought. have they changed somehting?

SCott

You can send calls to IP-IVR from anywhere. You assign a CTI port to an application, and as long as you can route calls to it (the CTI port belongs to a patition that is in the originating caller's CSS) the IVR can take the call. You could use the IP-IVR system with a call flow that asks for a PIN and then compare that to a database of valid PINs, for example. The IVR script would then "redirect" the call to a valid outbound dial plan number. If the database showed that the PIN was invalid, or expired, or whatever (this is all custom on your end), then you could play a message, send an e-mail out to let you know someone it trying to get outside dialtone, etc. The extent you want to take it is up to you.

The only thing about using IP-IVR to do this is the cost.

IP-IVR is hugely expensive to implement when you only want such a limited feature, granted you could then use it to carry out other tasks but how do you justify it at first. The free AA that comes with call manager is butchered to only allow an AA app so you can't even modify this to do the PIN verification.

Paul

how can you force a call that is placed that gets matched by a route pattern to a cti port. you can only send them to a route list or directly to a gateway?

You set up a translation pattern for 9 to route to IP-IVR. Outbound access to the gateway can be via a different code or via 9 in a different partition.

The different partition is best as you can set up a search space / partition scheme (similar to personal assistant) that overflows on failure so that if the IVR is down calls can be made without pin numbers.

paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: