cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Public Distribution List Issue

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

We have are PDL's, which have properly propagated to the other Unity Servers, however we can only add user to the PDL if they are a member of the server that the PDL was created. We are running EX5.5 and Unity 3.1.3<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

Are those other Unity servers in the same Exchange site or different sites? Are those Unity servers a member of the same dialing domain?

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

This is different sites in the same organization. They are not in a dialing domain because of the concern of unique extensions. We have thought of creating a PDL where the EA for each server are a member then making each PDL owned by the EA PDL. We believe this will allow us to bypass the right issue, where only the owner or owner PDL can make changes to a list. Will this fly?

Not applicable

I'm unsure what you mean by a rights issue... there is no rights issue involved here. Currently the owner field is not used for anything in Unity (it will be in 4.0) so setting that to whatever will have no effect on the problem at hand.

I think the issue here is by default Unity will only look in the local site for users in the SA. In other words when you import users from Exchange or go to add subscribers to a PDL or address users over the phone etc... Unity only looks for subscribers at the site level down in Exchange 5.5. This is done primarily for performance reasons since searches done at the org level down are slower and are not cached locally as the site objects are. You can change the search scope of your Unity servers to the organization level if you want and then the monitors will pull all subscribers in your organization into the global subscribers table in SQL.

I'll have to check, however, on the scope restrictions the SA imposes on adding users to a DL. It may limit it to the dialing domain at the upper limit, I'll have to run back and test this real quick in the lab since all my test boxes here are E2K which is a different ball of wax.

You can, of course, just add users to the public distribution list via the Exchange admin interface...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: