Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Public Distribution Lists

Hi Guys,

My environment has the following configuration - Unity 3.1.5, CCM 3.1.3, and Exchange 2000 in Win 2k native mode.

I need somebody to clear this something for me. I know that when PDLs are imported from Exchange 2000, Unity will use the AD list and just hand over messages addressed to the PDL for onward transmission to the subscriber. I have heard that due to this feature Unity does not need to have a complete listing of PDL members in the SA.

What is the criteria for choosing which subscribers get displayed in the SA? I just recently added a whole bunch of subscribers and only one of them shows up in the PDL when I retrieve the list in the SA. I have about 44 (out of a total of 56 subscribers)displayed.

I appreciate your time and help.

Regards,

Ade

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Public Distribution Lists

It should show all the "top level" members of the PDL - so if users are members by virtue of being a member of an included DL they wont be shown.

Thanks Jeff.

Okay, if I understand correctly, "top-level" members are subscribers that are added manually to the DL? The template for the subscribers specifies that they are added to the DL when they are created. Doesn't this make them top-level members?

Thanks for your help and time.

Regards,

Ade

Cisco Employee

If the subscriber you are adding to the system indicates they should be included in the DL _and_ they are not already a member of that DL then yeah, they should show up as top level members.

The directory monitors get triggers from AD/Ex55 when a DL changes and it should go out and "scrape" the list of top level members off and update that list in SQL locally - just to be clear this is mostly a cosmetic exercise since the DL membership itself is stored in the directory. I've seen a couple reports out here that DL updates are not always triggering changes in the SQL db in some scenarios - it's possible you're seeing one of those.

I'm assuming the users are actually being added to the DL in question but you're not seeing them in the SA interface list?

Hi Jeff,

I guess you are right.

This list was imported directly from AD. I do not even try to add users manually; I just assume that they are there because they are added to the group in Active Directory. What scared me was the fact that I could not see them displayed in the SA.

According to the info you have given me, once I see a subscriber listed in AD I can safely assume that messages destined for that PDL will be delivered to the user, right?

Thanks once again.

Regards,

Ade

Cisco Employee

yes, if the users are listed in AD's DL they'll get the message. Unity isn't doing it's own address flatening here or anything, we hand it off to Exchange to delvier to the selected DL so they'll get the message regardless of if they're listed in our SQL "top level" table for that DL or not.

Thanks for all your help Jeff. I really appreiciate it.

Regards,

Ade

Views
Helpful
Replies