cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Publisher is sluggish, no task manager, can I reboot?

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

My Pub is acting up all of sudden, if I reboot my Pub, will my phones drop and gateways, or will it failover gracefully to the Sub with no interruption of service?

I was i the middle of typing this and found my problem. I had an administrator on the publisher terminal servered in use IE to do some work. He left the session open and IE hung in the middle of the night cause the CPU to peak at 100% so you basically could do nothing on it. I managed to kill the iexplore.exe remotely, then kill my admin.

But back to the question, if I drop the pub, what can I expect?

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

mmorris11
Level 4
Level 4

All of my devices prefer the Sub and only fail to Pub. I think this is best practice. But basically, whenever you reboot a cluster node that has phones registered to it, they will reset and fail to the next node as configured.

HTH

Cisco best practice would have all devices subscribed to the subscriber server(s). Rebooting the publisher should not cause any devices to reset or fail. Keep in mind the database updates (call forward, extension mobility changes etc.) will not work since the publisher houses the database and is unavailable.

tbramwe
Level 3
Level 3

Hi T-

Cant remember if you're running IPCC, so thought I would mention that if you drop the pub the authoritative instance of DCD will not be available until it reboots. IPCC will not be able to access DCD, which could cause issues there.

Also, if Unity ports are registered to the pub they will not be accessible until its back up.

Take care-

Tom

Thanks everyone for the reply. I forgot to look on my phone to see which server it is registered to and it was the Sub, so dropping the Pub would have put me in IPCC disconnect land as well as cwfds.

Thanks much!